Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the lounge section the issue was raised about sending a SAA and a second cylinder back to Colt to have the cylinder 'fitted'. I posted the below text (now slightly modified) questioning what fitting might be require or be possible. I have seen the cylinder fitting issue mentioned from time to time. I got no response above. Any comment and/or opinions appreciated.

"As of interest, I'm wondering what kind of 'fitting' a cylinder gets when Colt fits it. One would think that Colt would have fairly accurate manufacturing in the first place and not need fitting, unless the cylinder in question had not received its final manufacturing attention. Would seem to me that about all that could be 'fitted' would be enlarge the BC gap if too close and if too large, good luck. Either accept big BC gap or reset the barrel and ejector - pricey work.

I'm prompted to ask about this because of occasional switching cylinders in SAAs they all seemed interchangeable. I'm talking about the guns we had when I was a kid in the 1930s. I know the early workmanship by Colts was a world standard of excellence & maybe they were made to closer tolerances then than now - or maybe the well worn guns a kid could get were just worn loose.

I checked 8 Colt SAAs from s/n 18K to 316K for cylinder length and found uniformity with .004", in other words 1.600" plus/minus .002". For comparison I checked 7 S&W DA top breaks with long cylinder and found the same .004"."

·
Registered
687 Posts
It does not have to do with cylindere dimensions, it is to make sure that the hand rotates the cylinder so that the each chamber is aligned to the barrel when the firearm is cocked. This usually involves work on the back of the cylinder where the hand contacts it in order to turn the cylinder when the firearm is cocked.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think "Rigby" is right. I'm not sure if they all really need "fitting" though. The only cyl I've ever swapped was a .41 colt onto a 38/40. It fit and functioned just fine. Maybe I just got lucky.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have asked specific questions -- so -- Does anyone have experience with having a SAA cylinder fitted? If so, why? & What was done?

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks A1A - at least part of it is on the same page and by someone who understands the issues. But still no 'experience' info re the SAA.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
I would say that what "needs" to be done would certainly vary case by case. Many of the considerations are obviously the same as for a DA revolver. The Kuhnhausen book would certainly be a good source of specifically what might need to be done and what is involved in the doing. :cool:

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Thanks A1A - at least part of it is on the same page and by someone who understands the issues. But still no 'experience' info re the SAA.
I do have the experience of fitting them,I've been doing it since 1956, I also collaberated in the Kuhnhaussen book,much of the tuning,re-building & fitting of the parts came from my input.If you'll PM me I'll give u my ph.# & I can explain better on it than I can on this "evil machine"Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts