Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two SAAs (one 1879, one 1910) both suffering from the same problem ~ a bolt with a broken leg.

I see there are several places online from where I can buy new bolts, and I assume they are all of recent manufacture. So I have two questions:-

1. Will a new bolt fit a 100+ year old SAA?

2. I assume some hand fitting will be required. Is this a task the average Joe can accomplish, or should this be done by an experienced 'smith?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I have two SAAs (one 1879, one 1910) both suffering from the same problem ~ a bolt with a broken leg.

I see there are several places online from where I can buy new bolts, and I assume they are all of recent manufacture. So I have two questions:-

1. Will a new bolt fit a 100+ year old SAA?

2. I assume some hand fitting will be required. Is this a task the average Joe can accomplish, or should this be done by an experienced 'smith?

1. yes
2. probably, some average joe's will be able to and some won't, depends on if you are mecanically inclined and like to do a little amateur gunsmithing! If you are extremely lucky, it will drop in and work, but don't plan on it!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Zulu6
1st a word of caution,make sure it's a GENUINE colt bolt u buy,there r some dishonest people out there that will sell u an italian bolt @ colt prices.There r a few small differences between the early 1st's & later 2nd's & 3rd's which may result in a timing problem but not always,the early 1st bolt tine came to a point & the later ones came w/a round radius on the end,also the cam diameter on the early 1st's was a slightly different diameter than the later 2nd' & 3rd's which may or may not effect the timing,if u have any problems after installing the bolt pm me & I'll be happy to walk u thru any problems u may have over the phone.

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
I highly recommend Kunhausen's Shop Manual on the Colt Single Action. I bought it and learned more reading it than in owning a Colt Single Action for many years.

The problem I had was with an American Western Arms single action clone that was a piece of junk. Between this revolver and Jerry's book I learned a good deal.

Buy your bolt from Colt or Brownell's that way you will get the real McCoy.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Jim Martin gave Kuhnausen his info for writing the book.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gentlemen ~ thank you for your valuable input.

I'll keep you abreast of progress once I have the new bolts (the real McCoy as advised).

Fortunately, single actions are a lot easier to dismantle and reassemble than my double actions.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well ~ I thought I'd posted a progress status report several days ago, but clearly it didn't "take". Probably exited following previewing and forgot to hit Submit button.

I made a start once I'd received my spare bolts from both Brownell's ad Ed Janis (can't tell 'em apart).

Dismantled another SAA I have of the same period and checked the profile one against the other, and having found that some initial filing was necessary to get the replacement to fit through the cutout in the frame, did some filing on both sides to get the fit. Filing the the meat of the bolt head (or 'snib') to suit the cylinder locking slots will come later.

Started some initial filing on the top curve of the innermost tang to approximate the profile on the good bolt from the second gun, then got a severe bite from the cat right in the web of my right hand!:mad:

Hand swollen, anti-tetanus shot taken and now full of antibiotics. So no further progress for a few days.:(

·
Registered
713 Posts
Watch those cat bites! My wife's cat snagged her last year. She was in the hospital for three days with an IV drip antibiotics. Best suggestion: send the bolt and the gun to Jim Martin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts