Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen revolvers that have had a 'Fitz Job'. Has anyone ever seen this on a Government Model? Is there any reason why you cannot do this( trim the trigger guard and Bob the hammer). Obviously the barrel cannot be shortened. Would this weaken the receiver or put the Homer at risk of breaking. Twaits your thoughts?

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
Colt did do "Fitz" 1911 .45's.
At the Texas Ranger museum in Waco are a pair of highly engraved and inlaid Colt 1911 type .45's that were owned by famed Ranger captain Manuel "Lone Wolf" Gonzales.
I'm not sure these were Colt factory or he had them done locally, but Fitz himself and apparently Colt production people made Fitz .45's.

These have the trigger guard cut away, but are otherwise in standard format.

Do a Bing image search for "lone wolf gonzales fitz .45 pistols" and the first picture is of his Fitz .45's.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
I don't get the appeal of the Fitz guns personally. The guns end up looking butchered.

Bill Jordan had a much better solution when he decided to narrow the trigger guard for better access.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got a Government model and the trigger guard against is all screwed up so I thought I would try something different. To be honest Fits Job is not my cup of tea but why not have a project.

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
You'll shoot your eye out! ;)

I'd rather restore the trigger guard. If necessary a new guard can be made up and welded on usually.
A Fitz 1911 is just a little too racy for me to ever feel comfortable using.
Kind of like carrying a fixed blade knife without a sheath. Looks dashing as all get out, but smarts when it shifts on you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts