Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The May 2012 issue of American Rifleman had a pretty good article about Fiz revolvers. It didn't mention much about Fitz's shooting, but it did include a photo of him executing his "upside down draw" using his right hand drawing from a left-hand crossdraw holster. In "Hell I Was There", Elmer Keith describes some of Fitz's Camp Perry exhibition shooting. He apparently stood about 90 degrees to the target (left side forward), and with his left arm raised & held it out of the way against his body he used his right hand to draw from a crossdraw holster and shot as soon as the gun cleared the holster. Keith indicated he was both fast & accurate.
I was wondering if anyone has a photo of Fitz's crossdraw holster(s) or maybe has a link to one on the internet. I've attached the photo from the Rifleman article - it's not very good but you can kind of see what the holster looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The American Rifleman also had a fairly recent "Handguns of the FBI" article which was pretty good, although they used model numbers to identify S&W's issued before 1957-- before which S&W models were named, not numbered.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know of any books that JH FitzGerald may have written? That would probably have photos of his guns and gear, besides being interesting reading in it's own right.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Does anyone know of any books that JH FitzGerald may have written? That would probably have photos of his guns and gear, besides being interesting reading in it's own right.
Yes, I believe the title is "Shooting", which was published in the Thirties. The good part is that it was reprinted a few years back, and you should be able to locate one at a used sporting bookseller.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I'm gonna try to borrow a copy through my local library. I've had pretty good luck with that, even with somewhat esoteric gunny books. I've recently borrowed Elmer Keith's "Sixguns" as well as "Sixguns and Loads", and currently have "Handgunner's Guide" by Chic Gaylord. "No Second Place Winner" by Bill Jordan is waiting for me at the library even as we speak.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought I'd bump this up. I tried to get Fitz's book through my local library but they don't have one anywhere in their inter-library system. Anyone have a photo of Fitz's crossdraw holsyter(s) as used in his shooting exhibitions?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have a copy of Fitz's Shooting as repinted by Paladin Presshttp://www.paladin-press.com/product/Shooting . The same picture is in there,but is less sharp than just the thumbnail above. The book is worth having though;I read it several times.

Regards,

Tecolote

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have a copy of Fitz's Shooting as repinted by Paladin Press. The same picture is in there,but is less sharp than just the thumbnail above. The book is worth having though;I read it several times.

Regards,

Tecolote

1 - 9 of 9 Posts