Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since there are so many Fitz Specials being posted on here I thought it would be nice to have them all in one place for reference.Both originals and non factory modified. (sorry if there already is one, I didn't see one).
First here are two originals from the James Julia auction last October 2011.

New Service. This one didn't hit reserve at the auction:

Detective Special. This one sold for over $10,000

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
"Lambchop", a 1960s era S&W Model no-dash 36, which I modified in the latter 1980s and carried every day for about 21 years. Seen here with no blueing left, and, being Pocket-worn as it was a Pocket-Carry -

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Love that Army Special there twaits!

I have a couple candidates for being modified into the Old Time Religion, and, one of these days I hope to get on to them!

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
My so far only other 'Fitzicization' example -

Was just as you see it when I got it some months back.

Early S&W 'Chief's Special' which someone Bobbed the Hammer of, and, opened the Trigger Bow of.

Trigger Bow is bent 'up' somewhat and I will straighten it one of these days.

Said to have belonged to a Chicago Detective who retired in the 1970s.

Stocks have some unusual inlay devices, possibly Pewter or some other soft white Alloy.

Holster is an older IWB sort, which I had laying around and fits it well.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My so far only other 'Fitzicization' example -

Was just as you see it when I got it some months back.

Early S&W 'Chief's Special' which someone Bobbed the Hammer of, and, opened the Trigger Bow of.

Trigger Bow is bent 'up' somewhat and I will straighten it one of these days.

Said to have belonged to a Chicago Detective who retired in the 1970s.

Stocks have some unusual inlay devices, possibly Pewter or some other soft white Alloy.

Holster is an older IWB sort, which I had laying around and fits it well.
That is excellent. Nice companion to "Lambchop". Let me know if you ever want to sell either one.

·
Registered
123 Posts
mm6mm6, that is a beautiful gun. I've got a 1912 Army special in very rough shape that i want to do the same thing to when the money doesn't have to be spent on diapers.

Reactions: mm6mm6

·
Registered
615 Posts
Of course, there's always this one from the original artwork of Ian Fleming's From Russia With Love (Boothroyd's actual Fitz'ed S&W was used by the artist for the cover).

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
mm6mm6, that is a beautiful gun. I've got a 1912 Army special in very rough shape that i want to do the same thing to when the money doesn't have to be spent on diapers.
Just re-use the same Diaper...saves a fortune that way. ( I mean, one can always wash it out between uses of course...)

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Of course, there's always this one from the original artwork of Ian Fleming's From Russia With Love (Boothroyd's actual Fitz'ed S&W was used by the artist for the cover).

How interesting!

Even looks to have British Proofs or something stamped into it.

Also, the Front Sight is very 'British' in it's style, as far as various S&Ws I have seen which were customized over there by various Firms.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Since this is opening back up here are the two I have, neither is factory. The GM is a 1937 vintage and the S&W is a M1917. Both function well and will stay on a 3 inch steel plate rapid fire at 20 feet which was their intended use IHO. The holster is an original S. D. Myres "Tom Threepersons". I will probably have the GM engraved and maybe silver plated, maybe blued, haven't decided. Probably move the S&W on to a new owner soon.

IMG_1233.JPG IMG_1234.JPG IMG_1236.JPG

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Is the Pen an 'Eye Dropper' Filler type?

Looks like it might be...and, if so, it is a fairly early Fountain Pen...likely from the 1890s or the '00s.

Lovely ensombe!

Say, do you have any Paper items which have Mr. FitzGerald's Rubber Stamp or Office Stamp on them?

I recently got a Colt Brochure which has his Stamp on it, and I was hoping to learn more about it.

·
Premium Member
4,614 Posts
Hey there Oyeboten,

That blueless piece has so much character it's absolutely gorgeous.

Very nice.

Bud

"Lambchop", a 1960s era S&W Model no-dash 36, which I modified in the latter 1980s and carried every day for about 21 years. Seen here with no blueing left, and, being Pocket-worn as it was a Pocket-Carry -

·
The Consummate Collector
6,650 Posts
When I got the Colt letter on my Fitz Detective Special I found out that it belonged to Elliott Wisbrod who was the inventor of the bullet proof Vest. He used to travel the country showing various Police Departments how effective his invention was. He would let them shoot at him while he wore his invention or held it in front of him. He was the man who was known for stopping 5000 bullets. It is interesting to note that this gun was shipped to him the same year of his patent date. Patent US2052684 - Armor - Google Patents The gun remains in near new condition and does not look like it was used much.

·
Registered
8,903 Posts
Colt Guy, did you already assume or know that trigger guard was original, or did you open the envelope and jump up and down with excitement like I would have?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts