Colt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I posted a few pictures of a gun I inherited from my grandfather...a Fitzgerald Special. I got some amazing replies, including one from the owner of coltautos.com showing a picture of JH Fitzgerald holding what looks like the actual gun! I sent out to Colt for some authenticity and some knowledge and they delivered. Interesting though, the letter doesn't actually say "Fitzgerald Special". It says "Fitz Pocket". All the good stuff is there, including mention of the gun being shipped to JH Fitzgerald in the factory. Also of note, it mentions that the gun was subsequently sold to Fitzgerald himself. Personally, the knowledge that it was sold to him along with the engraving would tell me that it was his own and he actually carried it. He could have given it to someone as a gift, but why would he get it engraved in his name. Next step: I'm going to try to find out what exactly he did with it. Did he give it to a friend or did he actually use carry it for awhile? I want the answer and it's going to be a tall task.

In the meantime, enjoy the pics and let me know if you know anything. I may entertain offers :)

Attachments

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,467 Posts
All available sources say that Fitzgerald's personal guns were a pair of New Service models that he carried in his hip pockets.
In those days, men's pockets were much larger and people like Fitz often had their pockets lined with heavy waxed canvas to give a smooth draw.

Fitz was a huge man with massive hands. The New Service looked like a Detective Special in his hands.

Keep all paperwork with the gun and if you know any details about your grandfather and the gun write it all up in a letter and have it Notarized.
This establishes Provenance, and makes the value even higher then it already is.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I know where a lettered Fitz in excellent shape is, just don't know what I want to sell to get it. Yours has history that the one I want doesn't, which is a plus. Heed all the advice on documenting and you'll come out way ahead if you ever decide to sell it.

Reactions: WVCOLT and ei8ht

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello again everybody. I am sorry for the delay, I can't respond to personal messages yet. I appreciate all inquiries and I'm getting around to responding to emails. Answers to questions/comments:

What relationship did my grandfather have with Fitz? None. He bought this gun at a gun shop years ago (can't remember when, likely 60s) for $200.
Evidence that Fitz carried a pair of New Service Revolvers: Just to add, the gun is massive in my hands. I have average-sized hands and I need to really wrap my hand around it to get a solid grip.
Offers: I got a little carried away. I have no idea how much it's worth. I'm going to get it appraised even though there's nothing to base it on. After that, I'm not sure what to do. Maybe I'll lend it to the NRA museum in the meantime. Either way, I want to get more info. Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
jrf, congratulations on your most excellent, authenticated Fitz Special, and thanks for showing it to us.

Also, welcome to the Coltforum! We are quite happy to have you here.

IMHO, that rare gun will do nothing but go up in value, so long as it is not allowed to rust.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,950 Posts
I am glad that you got back to us and that it checked out like several of us thought it would. I was quite sure that it would show the gun going to Fitz and charged out to the Loan Account. As far as an appraisal, who is qualified to appraise the gun? Not many I assure you. RIA with its historical records of past sales of like guns would probably be the best source. I don't know of any individual who I would consider qualified. One of Ed McGivern's target New Services sold earlier this year at RIA and it hammered for $75,000. The pair of 2" Fitz New services that he carried with matching holsters was offered to me for $75,000 a couple of years ago. There is a Fitz New Service (Not owned by Fitz) that is currently for sale at $42,000. These are just a few random numbers that may help your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Cam, everything from the original poster is from 2017. I am about 99% sure that this gun sold for peanuts at a local gun show here in DC area. I posted yesterday in one of the threads. I was traveling and remember getting a picture texted to me about two years ago which I 99% believe was this gun. I remember the engraving. At the time I thought it was fake and by the time later in the day when I called the seller, he told me that someone bought it within an hour of him buying it an putting it on the table. I am 100% sure that it sold under $10K, maybe even under $5K. The seller told me he really had no idea what it was. The best deal on a New Service Fitz I know of today is one that Tom has been trying to sell for $28K.

I am glad that you got back to us and that it checked out like several of us thought it would. I was quite sure that it would show the gun going to Fitz and charged out to the Loan Account. As far as an appraisal, who is qualified to appraise the gun? Not many I assure you. RIA with its historical records of past sales of like guns would probably be the best source. I don't know of any individual who I would consider qualified. One of Ed McGivern's target New Services sold earlier this year at RIA and it hammered for $75,000. The pair of 2" Fitz New services that he carried with matching holsters was offered to me for $75,000 a couple of years ago. There is a Fitz New Service (Not owned by Fitz) that is currently for sale at $42,000. These are just a few random numbers that may help your thoughts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.