Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about sharing some photos of your Fitz Specials? S&W caught on a little slowly (80+ years later) with their 625-10 and 327 models. Here's one of mine. 1905 New Service .45 LC
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif...ala Fitz! Perfect for settling affairs of the heart in a phone booth...or putting down a horse!
Lefty
Bell Charter Oak Custom Holsters

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Awesome find. That's a keeper, "till death do we part".

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As found, it was a kichen table butcher job some foolish amateur did. A gunsmith called me and said "I have a New Service that was cut down to a 2 inch barrel and had it's trigger guard and hammer spur hack sawed off...it's a piece of crap...would you want it?" I was there 15 minutes later with $100.00 ..and bought it. In order to get it customized professionally, as you've seen it....it cost another $1,000.00 or so. That was about 20 years ago.

Complete action job to a smooth 5 lbs da pull. Several internal parts hand made and replaced. A good deal of polishing, reduced the butt/grip frame to approximate a Colt .41 frame size round butt. Custom made flat main spring and front sight. Refinished in matte black after bead blasting a good deal of deep pitting. A custom made front sight finished the job. Since the piece was completely worthless as a collectible, it was a fun (although lengthy and expensive) project. I would not encourage anyone to undertake such modifications on any fair grade or above Colt specimen...unless you simply must have a Fitzgerald Special. I do have a few others...but none modified by the Colt factory or custom shop.
Lefty
Bell Charter Oak Custom Holsters

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Not a bad looking Fitz you have... They are fun guns and handle well. I was at the Big Reno Gunshow last week and another collector at the show was offering an original one for sale. It has the colt letter which verifies its status and was shipped to a police department... If you are interested, I can give you his phone number...Bob Best

1 - 5 of 5 Posts