Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please explain where the term comes from. Try as I might, I can't see any fleur de lis's on mine!
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I read it. It doesn't show me how to find one on the grips!
I see lots of curvy things, but no fleurs-de-lis!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Looking back through old Colt catalogs, as far as 1905, the name Fleur De Lies is not used by Colt. They are referred to as "Select Walnut Stocks, Finely Checked" in a 1904 ad introducing the Officers model. After that, they are referred to as just "Checked Walnut Stocks" in all the catalogs I looked at from 1905 through the mid 20's when the style was discontinued. The Black rubber stocks are only referred to as "Rubber Stocks". It seems to be a made up name that has stuck, just like 45 Long Colt.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Looking back through old Colt catalogs, as far as 1905, the name Fleur De Lies is not used by Colt. They are referred to as "Select Walnut Stocks, Finely Checked" in a 1904 ad introducing the Officers model. After that, they are referred to as just "Checked Walnut Stocks" in all the catalogs I looked at from 1905 through the mid 20's when the style was discontinued. The Black rubber stocks are only referred to as "Rubber Stocks". It seems to be a made up name that has stuck, just like 45 Long Colt.
Maybe collectors invented the term to separate them from the "non-fleur-de-lis" wood checkered ones!

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I think the early patterned stocks are beautiful no matter who called them fluer-de-lis for the decorative design resembling "a flower". Would love to find a few original sets for some of my older stable mates but they aren't offered too often online or at shows that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
MtnSpur,
You've got that right, they don't turn up very often, and when they do, they are usually very pricey. I bought a real nice set for a New Service Target that came as part of a cut up parts kit on gun broker years ago. Can you imagine someone turning in a NST at a gun buy back and then it being cut in half? I was able to use a few of the other parts, but the stocks went right on my NST.

Speaking of hard to find. These are from a 1912 Officers Model. Numbered to the gun.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Oyeboten, the grips in that picture are on a Ruger of some type that I found one day while looking at pictures of Custom grips on the Net. I also thought they were beautiful and would look great on a SAA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts