Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a recent thread I commented that I had never, to my knowledge, actually seen a pair of fluer de lis grips other than in photos. I went to the Memphis Gun Show today and there was an old Colt SAA with a beautiful set of fluer de lis (Hope I'm spelling it right) grips. This gun was in a case with several other SAA and an old Bisley. All were pretty well in the "patina" stage so I didn't look too closely, not looking for collector's pieces.

As a matter of interest, I did notice a good number of older DA revolvers, Official Police and Police Positives, one Detective Special, all in very good shape (from a casual look) to me, and going from $300~$450. Saw one 2 1/2" Python, but did not see asking price.

And as for me, I swapped a S&W Model 29-2 for a Ruger Three Screw Super Blackhawk. We (the other man and I) were both asking around $700 for our guns, and we made an even exchange. I'm trying to swap out my big bore DA guns for Single Actions. Want Colt, Three Screw Rugers, and a Swiss made Hammerli Virginian in .45 Colt.

And that's the way my day has gone. Hope ya'll's has been equally pleasant.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have some fleur de lis on a Colt Army Special from about 1920. They can be purchased for Official Police or Police Positive frames from Vintage Gun Grip for about $26-$30. Glad you had a good day. Any even trade for something you want seems like the best kind.
Jim.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
fluer de lis (Hope I'm spelling it right) grips.
A common mistake Bob but we understood the pattern mentioned. It's Fleur-de-Lis (flower of the lily). The pattern on walnut Colt stocks are, to me, magnificent and elegant. While there are examples out there in the hard rubber and molded plastic, they simply don't compare, IMHO. I wish I had a half dozen sets, at the very least :)

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A common mistake Bob but we understood the pattern mentioned. It's Fleur-de-Lis (flower of the lily). The pattern on walnut Colt stocks are, to me, magnificent and elegant. While there are examples out there in the hard rubber and molded plastic, they simply don't compare, IMHO. I wish I had a half dozen sets, at the very least :)
Thank you, spell check was of no help.

The ones I saw were a beautiful walnut.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
769 Posts
Altamont makes aftermarket fleur de lis grips. They supply several of the handgun manufacturers.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Several years ago [15-20] a good,long time friend scored a 1st Gen. SAA with walnut Fleur-de-Lis grips on it. I tried to work a deal with him for that gun[we traded regularly] unfortunately,he passed away before we could agree on a deal.Another friend of his handled the sale of his collection/conglamoration for his wife. As I said, another friend of HIS,not mine. Guns were sold before I even knew a deal had been done. I missed a great SAA but, I really miss my friend even more. RIP Ed. Nick

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Altamont makes aftermarket fleur de lis grips. They supply several of the handgun manufacturers.
There is a great gulf between Altamont's and those Colt's. And, so far as I've seen, all Altamont grips are that "stabilized wood" for which I have a great distaste.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
280 Posts
Bob, I agree with you 100% on the Altamont grips, I have looked at them before and it appears to me the grip screw isn't in the center of the diamond pattern on them. I have also seen other companies making a grip like this and their screws are off center also.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I believe the Checked Walnut 'Fleur de Lis' Stocks could be optionally ordered for any New Service, as well as that they tended to be Ordered with or to appear on, the Target Model.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My first Python came with some nice aftermarket Fleur de Lis...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
To me none of the grips shown are true fluer de lis. The are all just beautiful grips with a diamond motif. True fluer de lis pattern looks like the ace of spades shape.

·
Registered
224 Posts
To me none of the grips shown are true fluer de lis. The are all just beautiful grips with a diamond motif. True fluer de lis pattern looks like the ace of spades shape.
I agree, mine are nice but not true FDL but I think these from early in the thread qualify...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts