21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
^^ :ROFLMAO: ^^

·
Registered
87 Posts
You will never be able to fire enough FMJ bullets through your revolver to show any wear in the barrel. Maybe a tiny bit of wear after 50,000 to 70,000 rounds, but never enough to matter. It's pressure and velocity that wears out gun barrels, and the .38 Special has neither.
I haves FMJ for years in all my Colt revolvers. Mostly 158 gr reloaded. 13000 rds through a Diamondback and more through some Smith. Bonus is they’re a lot easier to clean. Have at it

·
Registered
87 Posts
With some research I think I will try to primarily stick to the 148g wadcutters for extended shooting, there only going about 700 fps advertised and likely less then that anyway, thanks for all the responses, Im proud of my new colt but will still be gentle with her when Im not carrying.
FYI, there are 148 gr plated wadcutters by Berry’s that are excellent for target shooting

·
Registered
237 Posts
As long as you keep the little revolver far, far away from +P ammo you'll have nothing to worry about. Oh, and 1971 is NOT vintage. My pre-WWII PPK IS vintage, but not a 1971 revolver.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts