Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about buying a Browning Model 55 or 1971. Does anyone know what the actual barrel lengths are of these two pistols? From what I have found, the 1971 model had a 4.5" bbl. Not sure about the 55...maybe 3.5"?

I would also like to hear from any members who own these. What is a reasonable price range, The pros and cons, etc.

Thanks, Jon

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
If you want a shooter, I would buy a 10/71. It has an adjustable rear sight and a high front sight, thumb rest grips (for right handers) and an extension on the magazine. All of those make it easier to shoot.
If you want a concealable handgun, the 10/55 would better serve your needs.
Both are good guns. The only think I don't like about them is that they are a little difficult to disassemble/reassemble due the design.
- Buckspen

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
buckspen is right regarding the 71 version being more shootable but to me it's gaudy and unnatural. it had to be made that way to satisfy the gun control act of 1968. the 10/55 isn't for target or distance shooting but it's snag free and accurate at close range.
if you decide on a 10/55 and don't have one lined up yet I have an all original browning that I'm going to sell. I was just going to take it to a couple local gun shows but if you're interested I'd be willing to ship it.

im not real good with a camera but here's a few pics of it that I just went out and took.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
I'd echo Terry (saintclair) on the 1910 models. In addition I'd offer the suggestion to explore the model 1922 as well; great little shooters and relatively easy to come by.

(Click to enlarge)

003.jpg

004.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts