Colt Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Today my wife was doing photos for an upcoming article. This is a possible lead shot. The 1st Gen was made in 1904 and the 3rd Gen was made in 1994 - got letters for both. View attachment 768128
Great looking guns. Thanks for sharing. Had a 38-40 Winchester years ago, until a friend offered me more than I could afford to turn down. Went right out and spent it on another Colt. But you kinda guessed that, didn't you?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Today while in the shop I remembered an odd box of ammo I had seen before. I looked again and Lo and Behold it was a new box of 38-40! Had 80.00 on it but I got it for 60.00. May be the last box on earth for all I know. Prices on Gunbroker have gone nuts. Even though i don't shoot I do like to have several boxes on hand for each gun I have. I can think of at least 6 in 38-40 so this will help.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Today while in the shop I remembered an odd box of ammo I had seen before. I looked again and Lo and Behold it was a new box of 38-40! Had 80.00 on it but I got it for 60.00. May be the last box on earth for all I know. Prices on Gunbroker have gone nuts. Even though i don't shoot I do like to have several boxes on hand for each gun I have. I can think of at least 6 in 38-40 so this will help.
I went by my local pawn shop, and bought the last box of 38-40 by HSM he had for $45 OTD - a deal at this particular point in time.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
While at the gun club I mentioned that I needed some .38-40 ammo since I had just bought another SAA in that caliber to go along with my Taylor's & Co. Cattleman. One of the members spoke up and said he had a box of the ammo that he didn't need and would sell it to me. He said $35.00 and it's yours. I got it the next week.
I ordered 250 cases of .38-40 from Starline last June or so, and just got it the 1st part of January. I have bullets, primers, and powder, so I'm good to go, once I get my reloading equipment set up. Waiting to get my gun room in the basement cleaned up and painted, and then I can move my benches and equipment into it.

·
Registered
852 Posts
While at the gun club I mentioned that I needed some .38-40 ammo since I had just bought an SAA. One of the members spoke up and said he had a box of the ammo that he didn't need and would sell it ti me. He said $35.00 and it's yours. I got it the next week.
I ordered 250 cases of .38-40 from Starline last June or so, and just got it the 1st part of January. I have bullets, primers, and powder, so I'm good to go, once I get my reloading equipment set up. Waiting to get my gun room in the basement cleaned up and painted, and then I can move my benches and equipment into it.
Good for you! Where did you find primers and powder, looking for some trail boss?

·
Registered
499 Posts
For what it's worth, the 5.5" were stolen many years ago and replaced with the 4.75" the Duke used in The Shootist. You can see the presentation case was originally made for the 5.5" pistols.
Red Tool Box Musical instrument Wood

41 - 58 of 58 Posts