Colt Forum banner

61 - 80 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Forgive me if I'm out of line posting this in this thread. I have searched and searched again my Diamondback's numbers without results. I am new to Colt's and handguns in general.

I have a .38 special Diamondback that I'd like to know the age of. I've searched for over 4 hours total to find out what the issue is and can't seem to get anywhere.

I thought, at first, that I was searching for the wrong number; meaning that the number I thought was a serial number wasn't a serial number. but the following number is the only one I can find on the gun: S76415. This number is found on the cylinder "arm" (sorry for the improper terminology) which the ejector rod slides through and again on the body right where this arm closes.

If anyone can help me out on this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

-Daniel

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you look here, which is the second link provided in this thread http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12138, you will find that S76415 dates to 1981. All D frames, of which the Diamondback is one, used the same serial number sequences except for the one batch of HA numbers assigned to the DS only. The S prefix serials started that year at S62978 and ran through S88000. As you state, the serial numbers appear on the crane and the frame at the crane opening. They are also on the inside of the sideplate if you happen to ever get there. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Daniel, could you provide a photo of your revolver? And one of the serial number.

I find a couple of Colt's with "S" prefix's but neither are Diamondback's!
Unfortunately, I can't upload pictures at this time. I also found the S prefix for other models lol. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. If you look here, which is the second link provided in this thread http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12138, you will find that S76415 dates to 1981. All D frames, of which the Diamondback is one, used the same serial number sequences except for the one batch of HA numbers assigned to the DS only. The S prefix serials started that year at S62978 and ran through S88000. As you state, the serial numbers appear on the crane and the frame at the crane opening. They are also on the inside of the sideplate if you happen to ever get there. ;)
Thank you very much. I don't think I would have ever found that; and I am unsure how I overlooked it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Date of birth colt saa

I just bought a late SAA Colt serial number S56380A. I would like to know when this revolver was made. I suspect either 2008 or 2009.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi guys, picked up a Trooper 6" MKIII. Serial # J684XX. Am I reading correct that it's probably a 1971 or 72? Sorry, I'm kind of slow.:eek:

·
Registered
601 Posts
DOB questions

I just acquired a Trooper .38 Special and am trying to find out when it was made. My serial number is 73201. I checked the proofhouse site but apparantly I'm not smart enough to find the serial number. Any help would be appreciated. Here are some pics if it will help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought my first Colt last week, Anaconda 6" SS .44 mag. I have looked thru several threads and proofhouse and haven't seen anything about dating the Anaconda's. How can I find when my Anaconda was made?

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
I just acquired a Trooper .38 Special and am trying to find out when it was made. My serial number is 73201. I checked the proofhouse site but apparantly I'm not smart enough to find the serial number. Any help would be appreciated. Here are some pics if it will help.
The Troopers were also numbered with the Model 357 under Trooper Model & 357 Model. 73201 would date to 1968. :)

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
I bought my first Colt last week, Anaconda 6" SS .44 mag. I have looked thru several threads and proofhouse and haven't seen anything about dating the Anaconda's. How can I find when my Anaconda was made?
The Anacondas were all made later than any of the published data except perhaps the Third Edition of The Book of Colt Firearms. A call to Colt at 1-800-962-COLT is the best way to date Anacondas. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Newbie here. I recently started shooting a Colt Police Positive in .32 Police caliber. I've had this gun for a number of years but have fired it very little but am enjoying it now. My question is about DOB, the only numbers I can find are on the frame and the crane, and they match at:3043xx. I cannot find this serial number on any of the usual sources like proof house. Can anyone help with a DOB? The last patent date on the 5" barrel is: Oct. 5, 1926.

Thanks in advance from old bird.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having trouble finding out what model my firearm is. I have a Colt Police Positive .38 special, and am unsure if it is a regular "Police Positive" or a "Police Positive Special".
The markings on the barrel read simply "Police Positive 38 Special" and the patent dates on the top of the barrel are 1884, 1900, 1905...
The serial number is 3205XX.
I would not have a problem dating my firearm, if only I knew the correct model. Could someone tell me if its a Police Positive or a Positive Special and the date? Would appreciate the help! thanks!

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Of the two posted links I am unable to find dob for Series 70 Government 45

71B8268
That is because it is beyond 1978, the limit of proofhouse, and I only transcribed later dates for DA revolvers. :eek:

Is your serial really 71B8268 or 70B8268? If it is the latter, it dates to 1981.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Scoop on Special Editions

Does anyone know how to find out manufacture dates on commemorative or limited edition guns? Also, what about production numbers? Is there any way that we can get data on how many of a specific model or run (or configuration of that model) was actually produced?

61 - 80 of 148 Posts