Colt Forum banner

101 - 120 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Python question

Hello all! I am new to this forum but have been an avid sporter/collector since the 70's. Moving to NJ 30 years ago and NJ's difficult laws, I only brought a few of my favorites with me. The one I'm inquiring about, I purchased new but: 1. can not find any of my purchase docs with dates so I'm not quite sure what year it is. I know I purchased it between high school years 1979- college 1983. 2. I do remember that stainless was relatively new for the Python and I really wanted it but I can't remember if I spent the extra cash to buy it over the nickel. I'm not certain if it is stainless or nickel. The picture shows an "s" stamping but someone mentioned if it's magnetic that it isn't stainless. I don't think that this is particularly true. Am I correct in believing that stainless can be magnetic as well as not? As far as the year of manufacture; is it more or less desirable than others? It is a 6" and It is as new as 30 rounds I've fired from it.
Thank you for what information that you can offer me.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi!. I'm hoping that I get a King Cobra and want to know the date of manufacture. Would greatly appreciate your help if possible.The serial number is 5KC3xx. I'm from Spain. Thank you very much.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
This thread does not get noticed on a regular basis for new posts as it is mainly a reference thread. Serial number/date questions are best asked in the appropriate topic such as Colt Revolvers. Most recent model dating is best done by calling Colt (if you are in USA and can wait) unless a member happens to have one of the newer serial number reference books. The only online reference past 1985 is the Colt website Serial Number Lookup and it is not complete. :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
New Frontier SAA serial number 08267NF. Anyone know what the production date would be? I'm guessing 1980 or 1981.

Thanks,

Russ

·
Registered
19 Posts
I tried today, Wednesday, and got right thru..........mid week is best; quoted 120 days for Archive letter..

This was in answer to person who got busy signal or long hold at Colt..................

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just joined the Colt Forum because today I traded a Beretta Nano for a Detective Special (I hope I made a good trade).

Serial number is 7571XX and it looks like its DOB is either late 1960 or early 1961.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
My father passed away and left me a .22 Colt Single Action Frontier Scout and I was trying to get some information on it. I have 2 cyclinders one Magnum and one L.R. I have not been successful in getting anything off the serial number, 208025F. Can anyone point me in the right direction or know anything about this gun. I remember him letting me shoot it as a little girl and this is the one he left me and I will cherish it forever but I would like to know how old it is if possible. Thanks for all your help.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Hello ashlynn88, welcome to the Colt Forum. So sorry for your loss.

According to Proofhouse it looks like your revolver was made in 1966. But to be certain you can call Colt's directly and give them your serial number and they will tell you the date of manufacture. Tel: 800-962-COLT (2658) * Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm EST.

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
8" Colt Anaconda Serial Number MM43266. What would be the year of manufacture?

Thanks...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great source of info! I guess I am confused on how to read the proof house site. I have a Colt Trooper MKIII serial number J5564, not sure of the DOB. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Hi Sabre; first off, a belated welcome to the forum. I see that you posted 5 months ago and not sure if you received an answer to your question. It doesn't seem that too many members use this sticky...........The J serial numbers started in 1969 and included the Lawman, Metropolitan, Official Police, Officers Model Match, and the Trooper.........The serial numbers in 1969 ranged from J1001 thru J8600 making your revolvers year of birth as 1969.

I see that you have not posted since your join date. I hope that you will stay on and enjoy the forum as much as most members do. The best place there is to learn about Colts, and I would like to see a photo yours. The members here love to see pictures of Colts and just guns in general.

Tom

·
Registered
81 Posts
Gentlemen:

My Trooper has serial No. L52XXX which shows potential DoB in 1966, per Proof House. That listing has no L in the number. I discount that one. I purchased it new in 1977 as NIB.

A1As chart shows it as DoB in 1977 but the serial number is listed as 52XXXL. The letter in mine is at the beginning. So??

Diamondback is numbered D27XXX which Proof House correlates to 1969. I see no correlation with A1As chart except for 1980, with numbers starting HA. I purchased it in spring 1978, as used.

My Mk IV, Series 70 Government model in 45 is 66XXXG70. I cannot analyze/locate/find it on Proof House and/or A1As.

Assistance requested. Appreciation given.

Nemo

UPDATE:
Kept looking for more info on those. Found:

http://www.colt.com/CustomerServices/SerialNumberLookup.aspx

Amazing info there. Might want to sticky that. No joy on 45 info tho.

Nemo

101 - 120 of 148 Posts