Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$$$ for nickle 22 diamondback 6\" with box

New to forum. Bought my diamondback in early '80s. Have box. Shot little. What could it be worth? SN# P54651. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Re: $$$ for nickle 22 diamondback 6\" with box

First off, WELCOME to the forum!
You sure did buy it in the early 80's, the serial number dates to 1982 to be exact.
As to what it's worth, that depends on condition. I am not criticizing mind you, but in all honesty "Have box." and "Shot little." are not very good descriptions of condition for someone to evaluate such a fine piece of Colt history over the internet. We would have to know an awful lot more about the gun before any of us could say, with any certainty, without being able to actually see the gun and even then on a piece like this, it would only be a guestimation.
Sorry to be so vague, but you need to tell us more or better yet, post pictures of the whole package.

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Sorry to be vague. Not a trader or collector. Bought new. Have box,bag,tags,receipt, letter from colt, nra letter, everything. I'm anal. No it hasn't been shot much. Maybe, a thousand rounds. I'm the original owner. Not going to take pictures, it's currently not for sale, just curious. Besides my son said I can't sell, it's his when I die.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Sorry to be vague. Not a trader or collector. Bought new. Have box,bag,tags,receipt, letter from colt, nra letter, everything. I'm anal. No it hasn't been shot much. Maybe, a thousand rounds. I'm the original owner. Not going to take pictures, it's currently not for sale, just curious. Besides my son said I can't sell, it's his when I die.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

I don't blame your son, he's smart, he will truly own a collection piece someday.
I can only tell you from my own experience since you almost never see any for sale to compare.
As you may know, the Blue Book says there were 2200 made of the 6" nickel 22LR, but my research says it may be closer to 1100 total, who knows for sure.
Five years ago, I bought mine, never fired but turned, with all the accessories in mint condition and I paid $895 for it. I have recently turned down offers of $1400 and $1500 from collectors as it is not for sale, at least not now, so there's your ballpark for you.
HTH

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

Buckeroo-2: If you want to establish a value, you will have to look closely at the current condition. The first indication of wear on the revolvers is always a tracing on the cylinder fromm shooting it. That automatically makes it a 98% gun. If it has been carried in a holster, then there frequently is wear around the front of the barrel (or along sharp edges). You may have to look at subtle differences in the plating for indicators assuming there is no rust. A couple boxes of shells is a few rounds. But, that really doesn't matter. A person interested in buying it will look very closely at the wear to establish value.

Pricing is whatever you can get for it should you sell it. But, I would not be suprised that it is about a $1000-$1200 gun. NIB (factory new) condition ones are priced in the $1400-$1600 price range as I undestand it (Ref, Diamonback68). But, you have to find one for sale. So, the range is probably between $800 and $1600 for 95%+ guns. I would periodically check out Auction Arms and Gun Broker for closed sales. Usually, their closing price is about market, or slightly above for the hard to find models. That goes to show you... what is market?

Amyway, take care of it and hopefully it will be more valuable over time. The trend is upward. Price is such a finicky thing. For years (late 80's to late 90's), Diamondbacks sat at about the $400-$500 range for 4-inch 22 blue models (most common 22) and $650-$850 for the 6-nickel 22's for as-new guns. Pricing has increased overall in the last couple of years due in part to the fact that Colt has not been manufacturing similar guns and has experienced financial woes, and general interest. There has always been interest in Diamondbacks since 1986; the values were simply flat. The last retail price for the 4-inch Diamondback was $461 in 1986. That is always a good reference point. As the years go by, there are fewer and fewer 98%+ revolvers available. You just have to like 'em to collect 'em.

Look at the Courier model... less production than Banker's Specials, but consistently lower value... why? People tucked them away and didn't shoot the Courier. Hence, there was seemingly a larger supply of 95%+ guns available in the market. You can draw some similar parallels to Diamondbacks, but Colt production numbers of Diamondbacks was significant.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Since you're not going to sell anyway, this is probably a moot point, but: a thousand rounds is more than shot "a little", especially in a nickel gun where the front of the cylinder holes quickly show burnt powder stains. If not quickly removed, these stains are very hard to remove from nickel. These same stains(or just burnt powder) also tend to predominate around the forcing cone, esp. under the topstrap. If you've cleaned those areas after firing-never use Hoppe's on nickel-you should be o.k.

·
Registered
794 Posts

asa, good point about not using the Hoppe's on nickel.

Perhaps you can share the reasons for those readers that might not know why.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts