Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
100_4043 (800x600).jpg IMG_0007 (800x640).jpg 100_4051 (800x600).jpg IMG_0003 (800x640).jpg
Okay Guys-- I originally posted this in Wanted to buy.... But here we go again in the right category this time! :eek:
One of my good customers brought this in and thought it might be a reproduction! After looking and researching (amazed at how beautiful a gun it was) we asked our customer to get the Authentication on it from Colt Mfg. He did and received the letter of Authentication just a couple of weeks ago. This is a true 1902 Colt Bisley, in a 45 caliber with a 4 3/4 inch barrel. I have enjoyed listening to a snippet of history from this customer and he has been a jewel into another time and life. He purchased this gun from Gordon Williams (Carbine Williams brother) when he and his father worked on the Williams family farm. This again has been a hoot hearing the stories from that part of his life. He would love for a true collector to get this firearm-someone that would appreciate it's history. My customer would like to get around $8500.00 for this gun (the blue book prices it at 10,000.00) The case hardening on this gun is at least 90% as well as the blue -- only a mark where it has been holstered. My husband and I have looked around for a comparable gun in as good of shape as this one and have not found one. I have more pictures if you want me to send them. If you have any questions or need further information please feel free to contact me (Lisa) at 865-933-7302. Thank you :D

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Hello Lisa, nice Bisley, and welcome to the forum.

In the WTB thread you made the comment and also show some pictures here regarding two marks.
He started looking closer at the revolver and found a "W" brand and the Williams family "Spur" brand on it.
Regarding the “W” in the hammer slot, it is simply a Colt Inspector’s stamp from that period.

Regarding “the Williams family Spur brand”; if you are referring to the mark on the right rear trigger guard bow then it appears to me that it might be Colt’s Ampersand "&" stamp that usually signifies that the gun went back to Colt at some time for rework; which could potentially mean it was factory repaired or refinished at that time. If it is another mark, for example a “6”, then it is simply another Colt inspector’s mark. Try to examine it closely to make sure; I can’t tell for sure from the photo.

It would be best if you replaced the out of focus pictures and include pictures of all markings.

I would recommend that you purchase a Colt Archive letter that will confirm the Bisley’s as shipped configuration and where it was shipped. The cost of a letter is $100, but you wait around 120 days to receive it, or you can opt for their premium telephone service, $150, and you’ll receive the information over the phone the same or next day and the letter in about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much Old Colts! My Customer has already received the letter and it was a single shipment to Nebraska. I am new at all this posting stuff so I will try to repost a better picture soon :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts