Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont get it. You're not a fan of the 1911 but have those beautiful handguns?
I like to collect Colts. I have had too many bad experiences with 1911's to be a fan of them in terms of function but they are a beautiful looking pistol.

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since you made the above statement...Care to elaborate !?
First one I bought after about 300rds the magazine catch broke and while shooting the gun the magazine just fell on the floor. Also had tons of issues with the magazines failing to operate properly and failure to feed issues. This was a brand new Smith PC1911. This obviously is not a huge issue nor an was it expensive but it kinda sucks when you spend that much money and it breaks in the first 300rds.

I had an old 1911 that was very inaccurate but it did work (it was probably worn out).

Bought a new issue (2015) 70 series Colt GCNM and 50% of the round were FTF due to light primer strikes. Sent it back and had the same issue when it came back. Sent it back to Colt at least one more time. I don't recall if its been back 2 or 3 times but I have not tried firing it since the latest return although I am confident it will work now as they replaced the entire slide assembly. I have owned/fired 4 1911's and 3 of them have made me pretty unhappy.

I think these are pretty guns but my past experiences would preclude me from trusting my life to a 1911.

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
First one I bought after about 300rds the magazine catch broke and while shooting the gun the magazine just fell on the floor. Also had tons of issues with the magazines failing to operate properly and failure to feed issues. This was a brand new Smith PC1911. This obviously is not a huge issue nor an was it expensive but it kinda sucks when you spend that much money and it breaks in the first 300rds.

I had an old 1911 that was very inaccurate but it did work (it was probably worn out).

Bought a new issue (2015) 70 series Colt GCNM and 50% of the round were FTF due to light primer strikes. Sent it back and had the same issue when it came back. Sent it back to Colt at least one more time. I don't recall if its been back 2 or 3 times but I have not tried firing it since the latest return although I am confident it will work now as they replaced the entire slide assembly. I have owned/fired 4 1911's and 3 of them have made me pretty unhappy.

I think these are pretty guns but my past experiences would preclude me from trusting my life to a 1911.

Sorry you've had such experiences and your feelings are understandable...but I don't believe the issues you experienced are an indication of a problem with the 1911 design itself. It's an indication of quality control from whatever manufacturer made the guns you've owned. The 1911 design is well proven over one hundred years with millions of variations made.

But...if I had experienced what you have...I'd be antsy about depending on any line of guns that shows such issues.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Neat gun. I don't believe that gun is part of the "original" Accusport series either, which doesn't detract from it at all. If I had an opportunity I would buy that gun as well although I have no idea of a market value. I also believe (based on spotty info) that at least some of the guns I have were re-issued with a new name a bit later. I would guess the names of the guns were changed to keep with the fact that the original versions were limited to certain production numbers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts