Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking over my lasercast book again as I was starting to load up 38 specials. They make a big point in it to back off the load 10% for d framed colts to make them last longer. This got me curious, so I looked at all my other manuals. I have got nearly every one published in the last 15 years, and no one makes the same call that I can see. The lasercast loads are not particularly out of line or hot, infact they seem "par for the course" so to speak.

So, I was thinking about it, and I can see merit in reducing them a bit, but come on, the 38 special is pretty mild as it is, and since I only load 158 grn SWC's, I tend not to be pushing them very hard as it is. I finally decided to load up 250 rounds of lighter Unique loads to compare over the chrono and see what they do when compared to factory fodder.

Do you all download for your Colt D frames or do you go for a reasonable book load? Just mostly curious.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,679 Posts
Since smart people only use reloads for fun and practice, there's no real benefit to loading up hotter loads.

Reduced loads are easier on the gun, easier on you, usually more accurate, and more economical.
Lighter loads are cheaper.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Peter M. Eick,

I always re-load on the light side. I never could see the sense in using hot loads. I try to get the same POA/POI as my carry loads. Even my .380 re-loads are on the light side.

As dfarriswheel said, light loads are easier on both the gun and the shooter. They make the same holes in paper.

The light loads make it easier to shoot more, too,

John

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a load that blasts a 148 gr. full wadcutter out of the barrels of my various .38's at a screaming 450--500 ft/sec, about the same as my Pardini air pistol. Highly recommended for 10 meters.

Bill

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I should have stated these are just range loads. Target only and definately not for carry.

I have found that for the 38 special, it seems that between 90 and 95% of book max loads is about the best accuracy. The implication of the lasercast manual was that 90% should be considered max for the D framed colts.

After thinking about it a bit, looking over my loading notes and contemplating the problem for a while, I see the question becoming one of loading for maximum accuracy or loading for maximum longevity? Since I now own more than just one revolver, I decided to go for maximum accuracy and accept the wear.

I now spread the wear around so much that any one Colt only gets a couple of thousand rounds a year out of it. The guns that take the bulk of the use are the 38/44's.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a note to the other reloaders. Get out there and chrono your loads!

My historic standard load of 4.6 grns of Unique on a 158 grn LSWC did 893 fps out of the diamondback and 781 out of the detective special. This compares to 765 and 675 respectively for cci blazer 158 grn lrn. That was quite hot and I never really noticed it. I shot that load for about 20 years and always felt it was "ok" because it was 10% down from the max of Unique for 5.0 grns.

Just food for thought. In the mean time I am going with Trail Boss. Much better powder!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts