Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yeah I heard about Ford's issues as well. Going to give a local guy, 40 year gunsmith/refinisher a shot on my OMT. His website stinks like most one-man-show gun guys, but the few examples of his work look great.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I just saw this post on another forum.

A member there had his Python reblued at Ford's and it looks like they may have recovered from the disaster of a few years ago when a new worker ruined some of our members Pythons.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=12864332&posted=1#post12864332
Looking at the image in the thread you linked to, I have to say that Python screams refinish. Way over-polished, the sharp edges on the flutes on the cylinder are gone, and other rounded edges. To me a good refinish is one where I have to take a bit of a closer look to determine if refinished or not. Even as rough as it was, I think it looked better before the refinish.

Best regards,

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Yep, I see turn line grooves in the leades, that are blued over: a telltail sign for anyone looking at a gun wondering if it's reblued. I say again: don't roll the dice that rebluing a vintage Colt will look anywere near what the factory did. You're paying to make a "pretty" gun, but blowing away it's history and value. What are you left with? REBLUED GUN

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I agree there is a time when they do. Bad wear patterns on that one, for example. Lots of white metal showing in weird palaces. Or less than 70% original condition on a NON-high value model. And it depends on the model. Pythons seem to do OK reblued, for some reason because they were know for their excellent factory finish. SAAs? You better not touch them usually, if you care about the value:expense equation.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Looking at the image in the thread you linked to, I have to say that Python screams refinish. Way over-polished, the sharp edges on the flutes on the cylinder are gone, and other rounded edges. To me a good refinish is one where I have to take a bit of a closer look to determine if refinished or not. Even as rough as it was, I think it looked better before the refinish.
Yep, I see turn line grooves in the leades, that are blued over: a telltail sign for anyone looking at a gun wondering if it's reblued. I say again: don't roll the dice that rebluing a vintage Colt will look anywere near what the factory did. You're paying to make a "pretty" gun, but blowing away it's history and value. What are you left with? REBLUED GUN

Ya can't replace metal once it's gone. Wear , rust , dents , dings , turn lines. Ya can't make the surface level again. You will have waves polishing those out with just a buffing wheel.

That's what made the older Python's polishing so special! Care in machining. Patience , skill and pride in the polishing.

They looked like they were made from blue/black glass. Not a ripple , wave or flaw. That level of craftsmanship does not come cheap.

pythons.jpg

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yeah but maybe sometimes the pythons need it. I’m still considering refinishing this 1964 in4” “blue” with no pitting and tight lockup. Sigh....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No pitting or other damage makes yours an excellent candidate for refinishing. Who to do it is the question. Hamiton Bowen , Cylinder & Slide come to mind. I'm sure there's some lesser known folks out there that do outstanding work.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't seen in person any refinish work lately so I can't state for a fact someone is an expert at rebluing a Python or any revolver and not botching it.

With that said, I've heard nothing but good about Glenrock, and some people report good work from the Custom Shop (NOT the Colt custom Shop).

At least the linked Ford's Python isn't the totally ruined gun some members got back a couple of years ago.

My best advice is, that when choosing a refinishing service, choose one who is primarily a refinisher and has people who do nothing else but polish metal.
A general gunsmith simply doesn't do enough to obtain and maintain the polishing skills, and 95% of a blue job is in the hand polishing. They also seldom have the proper equipment.

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just saw this post on another forum.

A member there had his Python reblued at Ford's and it looks like they may have recovered from the disaster of a few years ago when a new worker ruined some of our members Pythons.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=12864332&posted=1#post12864332
That reminds me of the time I rebuilt my first Alfa Romeo, which was also my own car. I decided not to use the machine shop I usually did, nothing against them, but I took the head to the shop the local Ferarri dealership used. When I got it back, my valves wouldn't shim, since they cut my valve stems! That's the right way to do a lifter engine, but not a DOHC valve bucket, that ruined a very expensive set of valves. I called the guy for an explanation, and he was pretty honest: he just hired a new worker, and thought he'd let him do mine before entrusting the guy with a Ferrari. He bought me a new set of valves, so I was happy, and sent him another 4 Alfas for his new guy to practice on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts