Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grandpa died so the heirs brought his old service revolver into my favorite gunshop and put it on sale.It is a COLT 1903 US ARMY. That part is pretty simple but the holster is the sticker.It appears to be like the holsters used in those days by the military except for the belt loop.The full flap is NOT marked with the US.On the back there appears a one piece stamp,"USMC" plus the numbers "38-5" also the name "STO-REX" solid cowhide".The flap is held by a brass stub like the other militarys.The bottom DOES NOT have a swivel for thong.IT is about to drive me nuts,can you help or tell me where I can find out.Somebody must collect these dern things.Thank you for ANY information on the holster or maker.modoc 3rd Marine Div a long time ago.Semper Fi.

------------------
Keep your powder dry,but not hot.
Guns are for Gunners

·
Registered
573 Posts
Modoc: I suspect that your holster was a civilian private purchase holster. Way back when officers were required to purchase their own personal equipment, including holsters. Some bought the govt. manufactured stuff at cost and others purchased from military outfitters like Horstmann, N.S. Meyer, M.C. Lilley Co. and Pasquale's of San Francisco. I don't recall ever seeing a holster marked just exactly as yours is. The Sto-Rex marking is probably a reference to a brand name used by Western Manufacturing, a holster maker in the SF Bay area. It made US holsters for the military in WW1 and WW2. The 38-5 refers to .38 caliber and a 5" barrel. That type of marking would not be seen on a govt. purchased holster. I hope this helps you. Charlie Flick

[This message has been edited by ordnanceguy (edited 01-09-2004).]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Charlie,for the answer and it makes much sense.But there is still the USMC one piece stamp that derails my mind.Also the six inch Colt fits the holster exactly.
The family has positive proof,"they say" that he served in the Mexican War when we went after the bad guys.They say he was an officer in the Marine Corps.I've tried to get the other things that they have but so far they only wanted the GUNS out of the house.Oh woe is me.I have yet to see the stuff,including pictures as Grandma has been sick with a lingering illness that they doubt if she will recover.I'm sticking to it from afar,but find it difficult to restrain myself.They have been here for thirty years so I guess I'll just have to wait,hard as it is.Thanks for the information.With Highest Regards,bill

------------------
Keep your powder dry,but not hot.
Guns are for Gunners

1 - 3 of 3 Posts