Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't bought it.

It's in a local pawnshop for around $1200, but sometime in the past it was refinished. :(

It's blue, but well worn and the rollmarks were slightly washed.

Tell me I shouldn't buy it. :eek:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
What kind of quality is the refinish? There are some cool cosmetic design features to those early guns. Does it still have just the 1911 patent date or the 1913? They are getting harder and harder to find in any kind of condition. I guess I am not doing a very good job of discouraging you.

As I always answer these kinds of talk me out of/into it questions, will it bug you that this 100 year old icon has been refinished? Refinishing tells me that someone used the pistol for it's intended purpose and then cared about it enough to refurbish it and use it again. I don't think there were too many safe queens back then, or even 25 years ago.

But tell me why you shouldn't buy it?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My gut says it's overpriced.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
It all depends on what you are looking for. If the original pistols really get you going, then this one is not right for you. If you don't care as much about originality, then you might consider it if you like the finish. If it was me, I'd pass...

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would purchase it. There aren't any more 1911's made in 1913 being made. 20 years from now, people may not care that it has been refinished. You could think of it as having been restored.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts