Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you guys know, I only have 1st Gen revolvers except for an NRA Commemorative I got about 1 1/2 years ago. The one I bought was manufactured in 1962 and appears to be in maybe 95% condition??? It has a 7 1/2" barrel and in .45 Colt caliber. It comes in a wood box but I do not feel it is a factory box; nice, but just not what Colt would sell with it. It also has Colt Patch and Belt Buckle.

I know nothing much about SAA Revolvers from the 1962 era. How good was the quality coming from Colt at that time? Is there other potential things I need to look for? I don't have any books on this generation except Kuhnhouasen's book on the SAA and thats about it. I do have the book on Pre-war and Post-war Colts but this one does not seem to fit those. Here are couple of pictures of what is coming. It is shipping today and should have it on Tuesday.

pix953294414.jpg pix453842541.jpg

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Abwehr...I have one made 1961 with original box/docs. black box gun as yours would have been, and the quality is excellent! as they were during that period, you will like it. had mine for about 35yrs or more........................................................M*

·
Premium Member
20,528 Posts
Marvin, As far as I know, there were no problems with SAA's of that era. They were of high quality. I assume yours is in the 36xxxSA-37xxxSA SN range.
It may need a tuning-up by Jim Martin after all the use it has seen. As you know, those internal parts can wear out with time and usage.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
These were among the last built on the old machinery - the factory would phase in replacement machinery at the end of the decade and the 'Third Generation' would arrive.

Both the patch and belt plate are not original to the revolver - both are 1970's fakes, but not quite in the way of 'fake news' - when they were produced, collecting factory ephemera hadn't evolved, so it was 'just' a patch, but faking factory belt plates was rife, with plates being marked 'Tiffany'.

'Nice' Colt - you'll be happy with it.

Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I have a second generation SAA, I bought it in the 1990's I knew it wasn't right action wise. I never shot it , but recently sent it to Jim Martin for some work. I just received it back and all I can say is wow, he is the magician ! The saa had some issues, but Jim fixed them all.

Craig

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Marvin, As far as I know, there were no problems with SAA's of that era. They were of high quality. I assume yours is in the 36xxxSA-37xxxSA SN range.
It may need a tuning-up by Jim Martin after all the use it has seen. As you know, those internal parts can wear out with time and usage.
I appreciate the information you guys have provided. Before I made my offer, I did a little checking on the year of manufacture and found they were made on the "Old Machinery" for the most part! "saintclair" got the S/N range 100% correct; it is 36518SA. Of course this one does look much better finish wise that the 1st gens I have......which have no finish left at all, LOL!

I have already PM Jim Martin and once it arrives on Monday (it is at a USPO Dist. Center at this moment), I will give him a call and discuss the action. As always, the first thing I do is see how the action is out of the box and then take it apart to check everything. From what I can see in the photos I got, the Bolt appears to be dropping at the correct spot on the "lead in", but you never know until it is checked. Whoever owned it did not know how to drop the hammer correctly with the line on the Cyinder, LOL! But for a 55 year old revolver, it looked pretty good.

I was wondering which Colt box it orginally came in and during the date of manufacture it was about the time of the switch to the Stagecoach box. I also figured the wood box was NOT a Colt box, but it will protect it and I thought that anyone that made/bought the box had taken care of it! Since I know it is not a Colt box, I will strip, sand, and stain a little more darker "warm brown" color

The same goes with the Patch & Belt Buckle; they just did not look correct. Back in the late 1970s, I bought my first Colt 1911 from my LGS and I ordered a Belt Buckle from Colt. I made a walnut holder for the Buckle and it sat on my desk for many years. I still have the walnut holder, but for the life of me I have no idea where the Buckle is, LOL!

I will make some quick pictures of the revolver before I take it apart and post ASAP!

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rick,

You may given me an idea......I have a walk-in closet where I keep a few old clothes that are still good, but used. I use them working in the yard. The rest are Holsters, gun spare parts, and boxes of rifle stocks and other associated gun stuff. I may have take a look there, LOL!

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The 2nd Gen Colt arrived in yesterdays mail! I finally got check out everything on the new revolver. First appearance was good and actually looked better than the pictures from the dealer. Bore was clean and Chambers were clean. No significant blue wear and finish looked good. The only think I hated was the Cylinder Drag Line! Whoever owned it was not knolwegeable about Colt SAA revolvers. I did put a little Oxpho-Blue on just the line and it looks better but still visible in the right light. The Color Case is not a "vibrant" as some, but more subdued and fine with me. All number match and in correct places. The Stocks are also both serialed according to Colt Specs. The Backstrap and Trigger Guard have been removed, but I don't feel the action has been taken disassembled as there appears to be the original shipping oil still on those parts.

During disassembly for cleaning, and checking all internal parts, two (2) of the screws were so tight, I had to clamp the Frame in a vise and carefully tap the screwdriver while putting rotational pressure on the screw. I finally got them out, LOL! I checked the intrernal Frame where it was machined and found NO burrs at all. All in all, the revolver has not been fired much at all, so I think I got a good one!

The wood case is not a Colt product, but whoever made it did a jam up job. Here are some pictures I made this morning.

IMG_1595.JPG IMG_1601.JPG IMG_1602.JPG IMG_1603.JPG IMG_1604.JPG

1 - 20 of 25 Posts