Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for one of these in nickle,"in real life",NOT on the web sites-and found one today for $450.

About a 98% gun(no box etc.) has been fired,but finish is in fine shape,grips seemed never to have been off the gun.
Once I give the gun a good cleaning inside(and polishing outside),it will be out my back door and onto my range to try it out.

Will be the closest I ever get to a 1952 Border Patrol,unless I build one!!

But less than 1200 of these Mk.IIIs in nickle made(this one made in '72 according to serial #),and I suspect seller hadn't done his homework,as it was just tagged,"Nickle Trooper .357"--$450.

Bud
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
778 Posts
Super nice find.

I love these folks that are to lazy, or in a hurry to do their homework, and mark some of their revolvers wrong.

We picked up two in the last week that were miss identified.

Makes our day!

Bob

·
Registered
576 Posts
Okay, fellas, I am looking at the MK III Series in the TBOCF and I do not see anything about Border Patrol. And I don’t know what a 1952 Border Patrol is either, dadgummit! (Though I am pretty sure I need one ‘cause that is my birth year.)

I do know about the BP New Services, thank goodness.

So, ‘fess up. Whatta we talkin’ about here, huh?!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
The 1952 Colt Border Patrol was a Colt Official Police with a heavy barrel and marked on the barrel as the "Border Patrol" for issue to the US Border Patrol Service.
There were only 500 made, all for official issue.

This model is extremely rare, and prices are astronomical on the rare occasion one comes up for sale.
These are generally a high-end collectors gun.

The second issue Border Patrol was a Trooper Mark III marked on the barrel "Border Patrol", and was also official issue. It was made from 1970 to 1975.
This model seems to have had a slightly lesser quality polish than the commercial Trooper Mark III.

There were 5356 made in blue, and 1152 made in bright nickel.

Unlike the first issue, there was an over-run of these that were sold to the public.
The official issue guns have US Border Patrol hand stamps on the side of the frame.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks, dfariswheel for the details, and thanks BBS for the pix. I do find these conversations a whole lot more understandable when I know what the heck we are talking about!

[ QUOTE ]
...prices are astronomical on the rare occasion one comes up for sale.
These are generally a high-end collectors gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. Now that does not sound like me, unfortunately. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif On the other hand, if my wife really loves me, she oughta buy me one for my birthday next year, right?! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah,that "First Model" Border Patrol is very rare-thanks to our Govt. destroying them along with most other surplus guns used by military and other agencies. There was a time when the Govt. TRUSTED uts citizens,and sold guns surplus,via NRA etc.!!!

Some "reputable"(??) gun books say that the 1952 Border Patrol was built on the Police Positive Frame!! Gawd! at 35-36 oz. that 4" "stovepipe bbl." would have to have been made out of lead to add 12-13 oz. to that 23 oz. PPS in 4"!!!

No,it is in the Official Police serial range for 1952. Best photo is in Severns' Colt Firearms book. Coltwood stocks.

Mentioned earlier that I toyed with the idea of building a 1952 Border Patrol,by finding a "shootable O.P." than using the heavy bbl from a 4" Trooper(or "357" in .38.357,and replacing the ramp front with one found on the Border Patrol. Hell,mine would have been only for shooting,but I really wonder how many spurious or fake copies there are out there???

If the number of Air Force Aircrewmen revolvers,both Colt & S&W, "on the market",are reported to have exceeded the number built of some variations(and most were DESTROYED) then the "reproduction artestes" have probably done a few 1952 Border Patrols.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The few "blued" Border Patrols I have seen DO have a matte,dull finish on certain parts as dfariswheel mentioned,sort of like the S&W Highway Patrolman.

Found this interesting tidbit over on the S&W Forum. It is from a 1974 Border patrol inventory; 914 Colt 4" New Services in .38(used mostly for training by this time) 111p S&W M-19s,318 Colt "1952: ORIGINAL Border Patrols,over 500 Mk.III Border Patrols(poster said he'd never seen a nickled one on duty) 108 Ruger Sec. Six .357s about 500 S&W M-10 H.B.s, a "few" M-27 S&Ws,87 S&W 4" 38/44 H.Ds and 50 S&W .22 M-18s for training/practice.

Don't think ANY of these guns were ever sold to the general public at auction-but "smelted down"! Sad. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Registered
907 Posts
Bud,

If you want to build a "poor man's" Border Patrol, get an Officers Model Special barrel for your OP frame and have it cut down two inches. Other than the rollmarks, it will be identical. Saw an OMS today for $325. Colt had to be using the same barrels for the BP and OMS, just different lengths and sights.

B.W.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
According to my eye,and my micrometer!, the Officers Models have a taper from breech to muzzle! The old Model Trooper uses a straight end to end "stovepipe" or bull bbl. I even wonder if that used on the true Border Patrol was NOT even slightly a larger diameter?

Besides,cutting off a barrel involves recrowning as well as sight replacement. My idea of the already 4" "Trooper or "357" bull barrel just would have required a new,lower,non ramp sight.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
"The old Model Trooper uses a straight end to end "stovepipe".

?????? My 4" measures .768 at the rear and .697 at the front. That's not a straight bull, it's tapered.

As a matter of interest, a few months ago a retired Border Patrolman reported seeing some new in the crate original model Border Patrol revolvers.

Here's the post:

"I have nearly 28 years in the Border Patrol - I joined the Border Patrol in 1978. At that time, there were still Border Patrol Trooper Mark IIIs floating around for sale. Most of us young Agents did not buy one because we were broke - pay wasn't very good then. Besides, if you could afford one, the Colt Python was much more desirable - beautiful finnish. We were issued S&W Model 19s with .357 158 grain flat nose ammo - kicked like hell and you were night blind after firing one shot in the dark. I am not sure when they stopped issuing Colts to the Border Patrol but it was before 1978 - I'll make some calls and see if I can find out. About six years ago I visited our National Firearms Unit in Altoona, Pennsylvania. They had two crates of Colt .38 Special "Border Patrol" revolvers - there must have been at least 100 of them. They had been found at one of the Border Patrol Sector headquarters and were not on any inventory - amazing! They were scheduled for destruction (We Agents are not allowed to purchase a Border Patrol issued firearm nor can they be retired with us) but nobody had the heart to take a torch to them. I hope they are still there in the crates".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts