Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a used Colt Detective Special in a gun store I frequent. The price tag is $300.00 with a 5% discount for cash so I can get the gun for $285.00. Is this a good deal for a Detective Special that appears to be in 95%+ condition with original wood grips. The serial number is for a 1970 vintage.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Without all the disclaimers, /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif the book on a 2 inch 95% from that era is $375 and 90% is $275. Since it is in a shop rather than the internet, I would suggest you take the opportunity to check headspace, b/c clearance and end shake. % in the book only takes cosmetics into account and presumes all else is correct. JMHO /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
OK, edited to ask pre- or post- '72, in other words shrouded or unshrouded ejector rod? If it is post, those numbers go to $400 and $300, respectively. Comment about clearances stands. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info...It's an unshrouded ejector rod. Based on your comments it's probably about in the right price range. I called the dealer back and he tells me that he will not give the 5% discount on used guns...just new one's. So it looks like $300 is the price not $285. This one does not have a box, manual, etc. Would the price go up if it did or doesn't it matter since this is a fairly new gun and not a collector item.

·
Registered
61 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I called the dealer back and he tells me that he will not give the 5% discount on used guns...just new one's. So it looks like $300 is the price not $285. This one does not have a box, manual, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

bubba:

Just a personal opinion, but I think I would let the DS go by the wayside. If the dealer has such a low profit margin that he won't sell a used firearm because of $15, then let him sell it to someone else who needs it worse that you.

I love the old Colts and have 2 first series Cobra's, and one 1974 nickle DS. Even tho these fine little revolvers are a bit hard to come by, they ARE available for sale on www.GunsAmerica.com almost all of the time.

Also, even tho my nickle DS is beautiful and in "as new" condition I find myself preferring the older Cobras for concealed carry. The Cobra's are considerably lighter, and for some reason both of my Cobra's are a bit more accurate than the newer DS. I would suggest you check out the Cobra's too while you are looking at Colt D frame revolvers.

Unless the gun shop has a posted sign saying "no discount on used firearms" then I think the shop owner should have honored what "appeared to be" his policy on the 5% discount. Or, for $15 he would have lost a sale, and future customer if I had been the shopper. But that's just me.

If you had bought the DS with a credit card the shop owner would have been charged 3% right? He should be happy as a clam to take a cash sale of $285.

Some people think the DS and Cobras are rare (I once did), but I see plenty of used ones, and even NEW ones for sale quite often on the internet.

Just my old fart opinion.

Best Wishes,

JP /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you can buy a nice used Colt for about the same price of a new Taurus I dont see how you could go wrong,I know which one I would rather have. c3006

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts
bubba it's your deal . I offer an opinion though .

If I'm looking at a $300 gun that's realistically worth $300 and the dealer isn't willing to budge the price , I'm not letting $15 stop me if I want it . Imo , the one you're looking at might be worth a little more .

Do you want it ? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts