Colt Forum banner

Found a Very Special "Pre-Detective Special"

4599 Views 39 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Malysh
Well, I'm finally feeling a bit better and am able to sit upright and join in with you guys again. A great big THANK YOU for all the get well wishes & prayers. Now lets get back to the Colt stuff...

Last week just before I was rushed back to the hospital, I had found a unique Detective Special. This gun is described in Gary Peer's book as the "Pre" or "Transitional" Detective Special. The serial number of the gun falls within the range quoted by Peer. It also has all the features listed as being "correct" for this model: barrel stampings, polished/blued topstrap, plain trigger, and narrow grips. It also has an Archive Letter. With all the health stuff going on lately I have yet to get the gun in my hands, but here are a few pics to wet your whistle:

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel
Revolver Gun Firearm Cylinder
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
See less See more
Reactions: 5
1 - 9 of 40 Posts
You might very well be correct. These guns are in a very "gray" area to be sure. According to Gary Peer's book "the first named Detective Special serial numbers began appearing in the high 340000 range, so the serial number window for these pre-Detective Specials is fairly narrow considering the longer barrel versions were also produced in this range of approximately 10,000 guns". Peer goes on to "guestimate" that less than a few hundred were ever produced in the 2" barrel length. The range for these "Pre-Detective Specials" should number between 336000 and 345000.

Maybe I should ask Paul about getting this gun re-lettered...
Reactions: 3
Yeah, I'd love to review the old thread and see pics of your gun.
Reactions: 1
True, but not fair to snakeman99.
It's his show! :)
No, by all means. If you can find it, please post a link or feel free to add to this thread...
Reactions: 1
It also came with a real nice box/test target/cleaning tool that are from a DS dating to 1939:

Gun Firearm Revolver Starting pistol Trigger
See less See more
I like...

it's certainly odd that the lettering error keeps reappearing. Mine was lettered correctly as long ago as 2007. This is the gun that appears on page 50 of gary peer's book.

I'd watch out for this "Arizona Bill" character. I worked with him for a couple years, but now we're getting WAY off topic...

Praise from Caesar is praise indeed, sir!
Thanks Paul, your help is always VERY much appreciated.
1 - 9 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.