Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
of course, am thinking of buying it, and was wondering its approximate value. A friend inherited it with house, didn't know what it was, and doesn't want to keep it. It's a mottled grey/brown .38WCF with 4 3/4"bbl, original black grips worn almost smooth, one small ding on the cylinder on the outer front, the basepin head boogered with pliers, the cylinder bushing needs R&R, timing is shot, the hammer has a broken half-cock notch...a few small patches of pitting in the strong/sharp rifling of the barrel, none in the cylinder...locking notches are still in spec, so is the cylinder ratchet....only traces of CC/B remain in sheltered areas, no heavy pits to be seen...the SN dates it to 1902...all innards will require R&R, and have already tracked down a correct hammer for that time frame, and I am proficient in fitting up the internals....it's worth buying to me, if only for recalling the pleasure of helping discover a lost Colt SAA in an attic and saving it from years more neglect and being played with while the off time parts ground it to unshootable....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is, again, a try at getting some help on the gun's value, and this post is just a cheap shot at rotating the original post back to the head of the class....thanks....

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
we are not ignoring you but i would hesitate to est. a figure for a gun in relic condition.my take on relics restored is basically you can send to turnbull or a simular restorer and spend 1500$ on it and when you get it back it`ll be worth about 1000$. why not spend the 1500$ on a better original gun?? there are some exceptions to this as in a very rare gun in poor condition.just my opinion

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Quote<we are not ignoring you but i would hesitate to est. a figure for a gun in relic condition.my take on relics restored is basically you can send to turnbull or a simular restorer and spend 1500$ on it and when you get it back it`ll be worth about 1000$. why not spend the 1500$ on a better original gun?? there are some exceptions to this as in a very rare gun in poor condition.just my opinion>

In my opinion, he is right. Its unlikely that a .38-40 SAA made in 1902 would have any unusual collector value ... Bob Best

·
Registered
191 Posts
Speaking of Doug Turnbull who lives only about 20 minutes from me in Rochester, NY area..... Saw one of his masterpieces at the tiny gun store I went to today. They had a USFC Doug Turnbull Special, absolutely gorgeous revolver with white grips, about $1700 invested. asking price was $999 and I felt very privledged just to handle it. His work is incredible. My buddy has a Turnbull restored Parker Shotgun that is also just gorgeous. I'm gonna try and get some pictures of this revolver tomorrow, wait until you guys see this puppy. Looks like lightly brushed stainless finish, never been shot, only pictures will do this gun justice. I'll post pictures if i get them. Take care, Shoodaddy

·
Registered
87 Posts
If it's dirt cheap,buy it.I wouldn't put serious money into it,but as an interesting old piece to upgrade a tad mechanically, why not have some fun.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Shoodaddy,

I know it is not on topic, but.....

How did the sale of the nickle plated diamondback go?

Did the buyer complete his end of the deal without incident???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no plans on restoration, as I agree most original guns are worth more in original condition, and that money spent is hard to recoup if the gun were to be sold...if it were my grandpappy's who rode with Stonewall before heading west, I could see doing that, but otherwise......but the gun only needs $100 spent to get it shooting (I have an incorrect Colt SAA hammer that would work), and $400 to get it completely period correct...otherwise, it is a completely functional and all original 1st Generation Colt SAA of just late enough make to be factory warranted for smokeless loads, and is far from a relic or piece of junk only worth getting on the cheap....

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
mtngunr, did not mean to dog out your gun.if you are comfortable and capable of repairing the gun yourself and can buy it reasonable, go for it.post a few photo`s when you get it done.

·
Registered
135 Posts
mntguner, if you can get it right go for it. it will give you lots of fun. i did this one. i have about 750 into it. 38-40 like yours. had to do some welding . front part of trigger guard was cut away and ejector ouseing frame boss was ground out and brl was cut at 2". found a brl and the rest was all fabricated. i shoot this old girl too. fun and love to work on them. if yo have mechanical ability and can get it for a decent price why not. any 1st gen SAA is worth fixing up for a shooter. i think thay have more class looking like you describe yours than restored. a restored gun is just that its restored and is not original anyway. sounds like you dont have to do a lot to yours. can even weld up 1/2 cock hammer notch and get that decent again. i have a book showing procedure on that . Phil

1 - 10 of 10 Posts