Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this beauty at the gun show don't know much about it all the serial numbers match on the barrel it says Colt Single action army 38 special
Unfortunately the grips are plastic but they do seem pretty old it was gunked up pretty badly I took everything apart I am slowly and gently cleaning everything I am looking for any info I can get about this
(Serial number is 160538)
Showed it around at the gun show to a couple people and I was getting different information hopefully someone here is more knowledgeable

·
Registered
478 Posts
The real experts will be along soon, but 1895 is the year of manufacture I believe. A picture of the barrel script and a close up of the other side of the gun, with patent dates and Colt logo, will be needed too. It's a black powder gun, so no smokeless modern ammo for this one.

Great that you have it fully stripped for cleaning.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Welcome to the COLT Forum from the Cradle Of Liberty...Pennsylvania !!

Enjoy Our Community Sir...and I too must defer to the SAA experts here on the forum, because even though I do own one, I am by no means an expert.

As my friend above has mentioned, better pictures of both sides of the gun, like those taken outdoors with indirect natural light, focusing on any inscriptions and markings, parts like hammer and barrel, and any other remarkable features will help us help you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How can you tell that this was in a fire?
I did pay little to nothing I think 50 bucks was worth it even if it's just a piece to put on the mantle
and from looking at the top strap up close it looks like original and from what I found online this is called a flat top but I am definitely not an expert

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
How can you tell that this was in a fire?
The crust on the cylinder is severe oxidation ie: "scale", caused by extreme heat of a fire. Even so 50 bucks is a great price. You did good. What is odd is that any fire hot enough to do that to the cylinder (and the triggerguard and backstrap as in the photo) should also have done it to the barrel. Yet the barrel still seems to show bluing. Perhaps the barrel was added after the fire during a rebuild. But then that brings the cylinder into question.....is it a 38 Spl caliber cylinder? Are the grips ivory? If so good value there but of course they have shrunk a lot. Sure looks like a flat top frame to me. I'd certainly pay 50 for that if I saw it at an Ohio gun show. Heck, Id probably do 100 or maybe even 150....then I'd rebuild it into perhaps a 32-20 flat top. But I do the work myself so would have only parts money into the project. If the bore on your gun is good, and the barrel was NOT in a fire, resale of the 38 spl barrel alone on the 'bay would certainly get your 50$ back.

·
Registered
986 Posts
It looks like it has been spray-painted at some point. The top strap doesn't look original to me. Here is a factory flatop.

I would be concerned about actually shooting it. If it has been through a fire, the heat would have changed the makeup and heat treatment of the frame. The fireplace mantel is the best place for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The crust on the cylinder is severe oxidation ie: "scale", caused by extreme heat of a fire. Even so 50 bucks is a great price. You did good. What is odd is that any fire hot enough to do that to the cylinder (and the triggerguard and backstrap as in the photo) should also have done it to the barrel. Yet the barrel still seems to show bluing. Perhaps the barrel was added after the fire during a rebuild. But then that brings the cylinder into question.....is it a 38 Spl caliber cylinder? Are the grips ivory? If so good value there but of course they have shrunk a lot. Sure looks like a flat top frame to me. I'd certainly pay 50 for that if I saw it at an Ohio gun show. Heck, Id probably do 100 or maybe even 150....then I'd rebuild it into perhaps a 32-20 flat top. But I do the work myself so would have only parts money into the project. If the bore on your gun is good, and the barrel was NOT in a fire, resale of the 38 spl barrel alone on the 'bay would certainly get your 50$ back.
So the barrel and the cylinder are both 38 special unfortunately the grips are not ivory they are plastic but also very very old there is some writing inside the grips I'll take a look at that when I get a chance I believe it said something sports Chicago inc right now I plan on doing everything myself took the whole thing apart going to scrub and clean all the gunk off of it hopefully in the next coming days not sure what to do after that I would like to get it to a gunsmith to make sure that everything is safe before I even think of putting around into it whatever sort of round it is if it's modern ammo black powder or cowboy shots

Worst case scenario I make it look pretty and hang it up on the wall or on the mantle above the fireplace

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Looks like whoever added the top strap did a decent job. Some final shaping could make it look almost factory. The parts are easily worth $50.00. You did good!
From what I found the flat top is factory they called it a flat top I could be wrong but that's the info I got online it does not look like it was added later there are no welding marks no nothing all one solid piece with all matching serial numbers as well

1 - 20 of 62 Posts