Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my good friend came home from an auction with what appears to be a full box (50 rounds) of Winchester brand .38 New Police ammunition. The cardboard box is in good condition and the ammunition looks as good as the day it was made, without corrosion or tarnish. The cases are marked WRA .38 NP

As of yet, I haven't pictures, but they will be forthcoming! However, my buddy hasn't use for them and is willing to entertain fair market offers. Too, he has seen the current offering on GunBroker. If there is any interest in this find, let me know and I will pass it along to him. Please remember there will be an additional $30 to ship due to UPS HazMat fees.

Note: If this post is in the wrong forum or location, it is not intentional as I am mostly a "newbie." Let me know where to correctly post and the means to do so. Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you direct me to the correct place? I will likely just copy and paste into it.
Too, while the .38 S&W is interchangable and commonly used, there are collectors who would really like to have a box of .38 NP to go along with their Colt Police Positive, Detective Special, etc. My friend is not looking to finance his childrens' education through the sale of a box of ammunition, though it would be nice, rather he is wanting to get fair value from someone who wants to complete or add to their collection. I am sure you understand.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
About $40 for a full box non tarnished and box in good - very good condition.

Note that it won't cost $30 to ground ship via UPS a box of ammo that small. I know, I've received several.

I might be interested in the box of ammo if he wants to sell it. I'll need some pictures, please. I can be contacted via P.M. or email, both are listed in my profile.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
It should be in the "Want to sell" area. If you list it, add pictures showing front, rear, sides, and end flaps, plus the cartridges. Sometimes minor things can make a difference in value. If there is a lot number, please list it. It can sometimes be dated from that if you know the code. As I said, these are not that uncommon so don't expect an astronomical price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Malysh,
The condition of the ammo is good enough to be sold as new in a gun store. The price sticker on the box is $13.99, and that was before bar codes. Too, every time I order ammo, there is a UPS charge of $27.50, no matter the size. I usually get together with friends and place one big order.
As far as price, that really is up to him. I can't imagine he'll accept $40 after seeing on the GB website someone selling individual .38 Colt NP rounds for $5 each. I told him that is outrageous and not to expect near the same. I plan to meet up with him this week and get the ammo so I can scan the box and condition of the rounds. As originally posted, this is an item bound for a collector, someone with a LNIB revolver.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks DWalt. I will post into that area once I have scans and pictures of the ammo. Everything should be very plain, with the exception I may keep replication from being possible so no one gets any "bright" ideas. I should be able to get that done sometime this week after I meet up with my buddy and pick up the ammo. As far as price, I wanted first to post here as to give back to the forum. If the ammo doesn't sell, then it will likely go to the GB website. :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes. I won't say exactly, however, it does look like that. My buddy's are similiar if not better condition.

Nice DS!

Thanks Wyatt

·
Registered
69 Posts
Great find BigBear63. I just picked up 3 more full boxes of 38 Colt New Police ammo as well and a half box. They are 150 grain flat nose bullets and are all marked REM-UMC. These rounds were made in the early 1960s. I shot 6 rounds out of the partial box and they all went off. 38 NP ammo is no longer made so if you find some boxes stock up on it. As of now I have 15 full boxes of it and and 21 rounds in my partial box. I have an old Colt Police Positive from 1908 that I shoot them in. Shoots as good as the day it left the factory!

Nice Detective Special by the way!

·
Premium Member
5,977 Posts
Loaded ammunition does not require a haz mat fee such as primers or gunpowder. The 2 sides of the package have to marked with a sticker that states: ORM-D small arms ammunition. You pay normal UPS shipping which could be as low as about $10.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
That style of Winchester box was used from 1946 into the late 1950s-early 1960s (depending upon caliber), and there are several variations in markings found on it. The lot number can be used to establish exact dating. Pre-war boxes are considerably more desirable.

The WRA headstamp was also used up until the late 1950s-early 1960s period.

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
Loaded ammunition does not require a haz mat fee such as primers or gunpowder. The 2 sides of the package have to marked with a sticker that states: ORM-D small arms ammunition. You pay normal UPS shipping which could be as low as about $10.
Exactly, that $30 is misinformation. Thanks for posting this for the original poster.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Note that the "storefront" UPS pickup operations - at Mail Box Plus, Kinko's, etc., usually will not accept ammunition for shipment. You generally must go to a UPS company depot. I understand you can have it picked up at your house by UPS, but I have not tried that. I think there is a different sticker required now than the old ORM-D type, so probably best to check with UPS about that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to everyone for the great information. I will recheck with my local UPS shipping facility as to exact costs. While it is not a depot proper, at least once a week I do drive near one that is a depot. There is no intent to profit from shipping, nor to over-charge due to lack of proper information. I still await pictures and will post them as soon as I have them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Too, can anyone tell my why places such as CTD, etc charge $27.50 for shotgun shells, rinfire, and other ammo? That is the only real experience.

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
If I may, let me give you some more information. Just because some greedy jerk is trying to sell a round of 38 Colt New Police for $5 a pop on Gunbroker, it doesn't mean that is the going rate. Many sellers list items on Gunbroker for ridiculous prices. Gunbroker's seller's listing fees only charge the sellers if the items sell. They can keep automatically re-listing the items (guns, ammo, etc.) for as long as they want, on the chance they will get a sucker eventually. There is no incentive for some of the sellers to list items at a fair price like they would if they paid Gunbroker for every listing, as most auction sites do.

Only an idiot would pay $5.00 for 1 round of 38 Colt New Police. It is just not that rare a type of ammunition. If you want to see how much an item or items are selling for, check the closed auctions on Gunbroker, not the current listings. Examples:

1) A 1953 or early 1954 S&W Chiefs Special Airweight with the aluminum cylinder (only about 3,000 were made with aluminum cylinders before S&W switched to steel cylinders.) It's in well used condition with a lot of wear. This bozo has had this gun listed for almost 2 years at a minimum of $500. Every snubby collector on the S&W Forum (membership about 125,00 people) has seen this gun by now and nobody wants it at that price. He's hoping for a sucker to come along and he has no incentive to price the gun fairly as long as Gunbroker lets him re-list until it sells. I see now he has changed his ad to show a Buy It Now of $1400 (that's new). If this gun was worth it, with all of the S&W snubby collectors around it would have sold. He probably noticed somebody is selling a similar example on Guns International for about $1400, but that one is near mint.
Smith & Wesson J frame Airweight Chiefs Special : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

2) A gent (could be a member here, I don't know) has a box of 38 Super Police he's trying to sell at a starting bid of $30. He had a few bids one auction up to about $50 but it didn't reach the hidden reserve. This is not common ammo, but it's obvious the box is torn and missing at least half the flap pictured at the right in the photo. I contacted him about the box condition, and asked if the box was missing a flap section or was torn. He replied something like "well, nothing important was torn." He never mentions this in his auction, nor has he bothered to take a few more pictures to show the damage. The condition of the box is as important as the condition of the ammo, as is if the box is full or partially full. I wanted this ammo, but since I couldn't induce the seller to expand on the box damage with some revealing pictures or edit his text to mention the box damage I passed. He's been trying to sell it for quite a while.
Western 38 Special SUPER POLICE Ammunition Box : Vintage Ammo at GunBroker.com

A box in v.g. or better condition of 38 Colt 38 New Police is worth about $40-$60, tops. It's just not a $100 + item.

I was going to put some pictures in this thread to show you 32 New Police, 38 New Police, 38 Special, and 380 Auto ammo and boxes I bought at local shows and on the internet, all for $50 or less, all in v.g. or better condition, but it seems like ImageShack photo hosting has either dropped off the net or is down for technical reasons the past two days. The box of 1940s vintage Remington 38 Special was pristine, shrunk wrapped in plastic for years, and cost me $25. The dealer specializes in ammo, and after he sold it to me, mentioned he mis-marked the box, and it should have been $35.00

HTH,
Mike

* I should have mentioned that if the ammo is from the 19th century up to the beginning of the 1940s (pre WWII commercial ammo) and it's a full box with ammo and box in v.g. or better condition, the values would be higher whether the ammo is rare, just scarce, or fairly common and would be priced accordingly.
All my collector ammo is from the early 1940s through the late 1950s to go with the era of Colt revolvers and semi autos I have accumulated. It's mostly Remington with a smattering of WW mixed in. I'm betting the ammo your friend got is post war 1950s-1960s Winchester like the box Wyatt has pictured.

·
Administrator
7,196 Posts
Thanks DWalt. I will post into that area once I have scans and pictures of the ammo. Everything should be very plain, with the exception I may keep replication from being possible so no one gets any "bright" ideas. I should be able to get that done sometime this week after I meet up with my buddy and pick up the ammo. As far as price, I wanted first to post here as to give back to the forum. If the ammo doesn't sell, then it will likely go to the GB website. :(
As mentioned , our forum Classifieds is a very good place assuming a realistic price .

Sorry if a repeat but rather than looking at the auction asking price , look for actual bids to see what they sell for .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks to all for the responses!
From at least one, I feel almost accused of looking to gouge. I came to the Colt Forum as, in the past, it was helpful in determine the origins of my .32 Detective Special and thought to give something back. If my friend or I were wanting to gouge, the ammunition would be going straight to the GB website were anyone, gougers included, might buy it and possibly try to sell it for their profit. Fair market value is not too much to expect. Please bear this in mind before posting.
I still await pictures and will find out about shipping in the next couple of days.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts