Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*** Thanks People***

Trying to match up a barrel for a 1943 Colt 1911 A1...condition is excellent, so looking for a similar condition-

I AM NOT AN EXPERT ON THIS AT ALL...JUST TAKING THE ADVISE AND GUIDANCE OF OTHERS WHO ARE

I think what I am hearing it that the barrel should have a;
1. "COLT 45 AUTO" stamp rolled on the left side of barrel (may/may not have"P" Proof Stamped on left lug)
2. Stamp on underside of barrel of either and "F" or a "7"

Looking for non pitted bore in a non-refinished barrel

Please PM me with what you have.

Thanks,

Ldogmiller

·
Registered
151 Posts

·
Registered
10,361 Posts
Your best reference for the correct barrel marking by serial number is Clawson's 3rd Edition of his Collector's Guide. In it he shows the various markings found on the bottom of the barrel ahead of the lug used along with the COLT .45 AUTO marking.

On page 370 of his "big book" he simply shows the COLT .45 AUTO marking being used from 1937 until the end of production in 1945. He does show the C in square "intermixed in 1945 production."

·
Registered
10,361 Posts
One thing I forgot to add, even though Clawson indicates that the COLT .45 AUTO marking was used from 1937 to the end of production, I have never seen a C in square marked barrel with the marking.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One thing I forgot to add, even though Clawson indicates that the COLT .45 AUTO marking was used from 1937 to the end of production, I have never seen a C in square marked barrel with the marking.

Thank you JohnnyP for all your help!

·
Registered
10,361 Posts
Don't mean to be discouraging, but you will be better off looking for another Colt. While all other parts are available on the market, bare receivers are not. Sell what you have and start over.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts