Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things that came with my wife was a 6" Colt .357 that I just put in the safe and forgot about 11 years ago.

Looking to finance a couple new carry guns I pulled it out last weekend and find that it's a Colt Grizzly.

Since I can't imagine carrying a 6" stainless wheel gun I'm looking to get more information on the value and some guidance on the best way to convert this to different guns.

I know it has been fired, and I suspect that the box, etc., were disposed of after her father passed.

I'd be pleased for any suggestions or information. I've attached a picture for reference.

Thanks much.

Mark
Portland, Oregon.

·
Registered
575 Posts
A nice find. You don't see these come up for auction very often, but I would put a value in the $1500-$2000 range. It is hard to tell the condition from just one picture.

As for a way to sell you could always list it right here on the forum. If it does not move here I would list it on gunbroker.com. I only find 1 that has sold on there in quite a while and it went for $2000.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Depending on your NEW carry guns cost, you should be able to buy yourself a few carry guns from those funds or, you could trade for some and maybe even end up with some cash ta boot.
What you have is a limited edition King Cobra with vent ribbed Python type barrel combined to give you the Grizzly. They were made and sold through Western Hoagee. (not a sandwhich shop )
The Kodiak was the same thing but produced on the larger scale Anaconda frame.
Very desirable guns both of them.
Your gun looks used in the photos, but it could be just the finger prints.
Can you describe the condition a little better for us ?

Thanks, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Condition

My last revolver was a snub nose S&W Model 13 I carried as a duty gun in the early 80s, so I'm a little rusty on condition.

As far as I can see the only wear I notice (and it isn't much) is a line on the cylinder from the cylinder stop. There is no lead around the forcing cone, no screw head distortion, the barrel ports are clear, and the crane and frame serial numbers match.

It wasn't terribly well cleaned (I didn't look! I was a newlywed!) and it looks like it had been shooting wad cutters.

What pictures can help, or anything specific I should be looking for?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
The muzzle and near the end of the barrel look to have either holster wear or just finger prints.
If it's not wear and there's only a light drag line you're in good shape.
I think realistically you're looking at around $2,000 if you sold it at auction as used no box.
Plus or minus depending on who was looking for one at that time.
I think a NIB Grizzly with proper outter sleeve and papers would get you another $500.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Great Find!! Take some time to clean and polish it up some before you try to sell - Start high - it's easier to ncome down in price then to go up. Good luck.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Of course, it's none of my business, but if that gun belonged to your wife's deceased father, I would be dang sure she's OK with you selling it. Maybe even get it in writing (just joking). Seriously though, sometimes those kind of things can be thrown up at you years later during the heat of an argument.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Odd that you mention that

Because I got an earful tonight about an off the cuff comment I made two weeks after we got married....

On the other hand, I want to trade it and she's lusting after a new pocket auto, probably a .380 of some kind.

Thanks for thinking ahead for me though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I would be willing to take it off your hands for a fair price if we could figure one out. Please private message me and let me know what we could do. I have wanted a Grizzly for quite some time.........

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Are you claiming the Grizzly as dowry, if so you did better than me, all I got was in-laws and debt. I personally would take a soecond job to buy the 380 and keep the Grizzly if not for you at least as a family heirloom for future generations direct or indirect matters not these are rare and fun not all heirlooms carry both qualities. flanman

1 - 11 of 11 Posts