Colt Forum banner

Do you think it is really rare?

• Wow, never seen it before. Can't find its rare!

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • It's a nice rare revolver.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I have seen it, it's not rare.

Votes: 19 61.3%
  • Very common revolver every one has one.

Votes: 2 6.5%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I recently found a very rare colt .45 revolverIt's a Double action engraved on side of barrel D. A. I can't match an exact model for it, serial number in inner side and body match 343874Check my pictures, I found in barn in South America. Two old sisters had it as heritage of their father. They are around 75 and their father lived over 25 years ago. I'm guessing this revolver should be over 80 years oldAny guess or info about it? Check at the sight. Looks like a match to my but model?Any approximate price on it? Bought it for good price with around 100 old vintage rounds in belt and holsterTrue beauty!Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
My guess might be a Colt new Service model 1909 in .45 colt. Ramp and new sights expertly added later. Original plain wood grips checkered and medallions added. My guess is based on if owners of 1909 colt N.S.s can verify that barrel marking.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I don't think 45 Colt, I think 45acp. Look at the thickness of the cylinder ratchet, and how close the cylinder notches are cut to the edge of the rear of the cylinder.

Clearly both of the sights and the long front ramp have been added. I doubt a lot of collector's value with all of the modifications, unless they were period mods by someone like King's. Still an interesting old revolver, with an interesting story.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I has the flattened, serrated topstrap, so the frame was made after 1927 or so; an earlier frame would be smooth and rounded from side-to-side, like a 1917..

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Yeahhhh...I am thinking it is a 1930s Colt New Service in .45 ACP, to which someone had later modified and added the 'Target' Sights.

The actual Revolver as it originally was, is not rare, if fairly scarce.

The addition of the Target Sights ( which are a lot newer than the Revolver is ) which required modifying the Revolver, pretty well killed it though, as for being any longer of the same value or interest or desirability it would have had ( in the same condition ) if still Original and not modified.

So, bottom line, neither rare nor valuable...even if interesting in it's way!

Some close images from straight on ( rather than from an angle ) and with the Cylinder closed, may help decide if this is an old worn re-blue, or an old worn original finish.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Oyeboten, the serial number given, 343874, would indeed make it a 1937 vintage New Service.

Pictures number 1 and 2 make it look like it has a straight barrel, with no bolster or shoulder where it meets the frame.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for input...

Thanks all. Let me tell you it's not a .45 acp for sure. It's a .45 long colt. Engraved on side of barrel says COLT D A 45, as per the sights I don't think they were added by a person after 1950. The ladies that had it say that they remember since there were young their father had it, so around 60 years has been in South America. I would like to order a transcript from colt to find out exactly what happened there.... Another question guys?? I can't find any marking on bottom of ring handle. Where originally should say something like ARMY OR NEW SERVICE. what that probably erased by someone because it was taken into South America thinking they would have problems on their way of US ARMY was engraved on bottom? I kind of see some markings that are erased there. Thank you

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Up here in the US, a customized New Service like that would run $350 to $500ish, assuming it is mechanically sound. It is a neat old school custom revolver, but its collectible value has been killed by the modifications.

The Micro rear sight is definitely post WWII, if not post 1950. I am not sure the exact year Micro started up shop, but I think it was after 1950. Micro rear sights were very popular with target/bullseye shooters in the 50s and 60s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
True. Indeed it's a 1937 New Service what was customized back in 50s or late 40s. It has been in South America since 50s so was taken like that already. Does anybody know anything else about this revolver? Paid $1200usd with nice belt and 100 vintage Winchester rounds with nice handmade holster. Anyway I love it since I have not seen a similar one like that plus around $200 for the rounds and $200 for holster with leather belt; I think it's a good price. Thanks

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
In the link below note the inspector's marking on the right side of the frame at the "hump" of the Model 1909. Then look at the strange smear mark in the finish of your gun in the same place like it was removed. Also, the 2nd link here puts your gun in the serial number range of the model 1909. Maybe they had their own numbers. I'm convinced your gun is a customized 1909. I still think it's a nice customized job.
Priced in Auctions : Colt New Service Double Action Revolver U.S. Martially Marked Model 1909* - HLEBOOKS.com & Collectorebooks.com

http://www.coolgunsite.com/pistols/colt1909/usarevpage_m1909.htm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honestly...

I don't think we have found the exact DOB of this revolver. To me it seems plain stock with that micro sight installation. But there are no markings in butt of revolver. And then the ladies had it in South America for longer than 50 years. Running the serial number through colts serial number shows: (attached pic)

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Like the others here have stated, it didn't come from Colt in that configuration. Not to burst your bubble. With that said, it appears to be a nice old Micro Gun Shop custom with Micro's rear adjustable sight and the added long rib/ramp front sight. They also sold their parts, so it could have been modded by a local gunsmith I would say the mods were done probably in the 50s maybe early 60s. Micro Sights sort of took over from the old King's Gun Sights but I've never seen a Micro built gun as nice as a King's.
About the caliber…I see you are new here and not to be a jack or anything but you do know the difference between the .45 (Long) Colt and the .45 ACP, right? Rimmed, rimless? If you have ammo that came with the gun, you can drop one in a chamber. If How about a pic of the rig and ammo?
Neat gat. I like the later New Service revos and I like the early customs. I've got a few Kings and am alway looking for more.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
As has been stated, that serial number dates to 1937 for the New Service, though it could have shipped later than that. It would not have had butt markings, as it is a commercial gun. Colt put markings on the butts of the military New Services (Model 1909 and Model 1917).

Check the New Service serial numbers here:

Serial Number Data

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is a .45 long colt. My hand looks small but I'm fairly big. Why my ejection pin looks far more apart than the 1837 model? In proofhouse.com the serial number is not found under 1937 model

Attachments

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
It is a .45 long colt. My hand looks small but I'm fairly big. Why my ejection pin looks far more apart than the 1837 model? In proofhouse.com the serial number is not found under 1937 model

New Service & Shooting Master

Go to the above link, which will take you directly to the serial number page for the New Service. You will find your serial number in the range for 1937.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
True. The serial should be 341XXX to 344XXX in order to be from 1937. My serial 343875 is between there. Any thought on price range of this gun? With customized micro sights and big ramp and platina?

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Oyeboten, the serial number given, 343874, would indeed make it a 1937 vintage New Service.

Pictures number 1 and 2 make it look like it has a straight barrel, with no bolster or shoulder where it meets the frame.

You are right about the Barrel - I got lost in other details and did not notice that.

Funny, I did not notice the OP had given the Serial Number either, and I was going to ask them if they would post it.

Some days my reading comprehension is just terrible! Lol...

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
In the link below note the inspector's marking on the right side of the frame at the "hump" of the Model 1909. Then look at the strange smear mark in the finish of your gun in the same place like it was removed. Also, the 2nd link here puts your gun in the serial number range of the model 1909. Maybe they had their own numbers. I'm convinced your gun is a customized 1909. I still think it's a nice customized job.
Priced in Auctions : Colt New Service Double Action Revolver U.S. Martially Marked Model 1909* - HLEBOOKS.com & Collectorebooks.com
http://www.coolgunsite.com/pistols/colt1909/usarevpage_m1909.htm

Hi Wyatt,

OP relays Serial Number as being 343874.

Too high for an m1909.

If indeed this is a 1937-ish New Service, in .45 Colt, then, of course, there would never have been any Stampings on the Butt.

The Non-Bolstered Barrel is a little puzzling, but, maybe it was re-Barreled somewhere along the way, using an early Barrel.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
True. The serial should be 341XXX to 344XXX in order to be from 1937. My serial 343875 is between there. Any thought on price range of this gun? With customized micro sights and big ramp and platina?

I would estimate a realistic value if it were in the US, of about $400.00 US.

The 1950s or 1960s 'Customizing' took away from the Value the Revolver would have had, if it were instead to have remained in it's original configuration, so, the added features are not a plus, they are a minus.

Too, overall condition is fairly low, which would lower the value, even if this were an un-disturbed, original Revolver which had not been modified or re-finished and so on.

Barrel appears to be a much earlier Barrel, which someone installed somewhere along the way, and, this also, is a 'minus'.

I am estimating $400.00, since there are some people who are interested in older 'Customs'...who may be willing to pay that.

Generally, those who like and are interested in the older Colts, stay with original condition Guns, and will not be interested in modified examples, unless the modified example is done very well, and, or, was done very well and done when the Gun was still new.

A 'Period Custom' is a very different matter ( when done professionally or done very well ) than a 'Custom' done 20 or 30 years after the Gun was made, which then has parts and styles of a different era, conflicting with the integrity, otherwise, of the whole.

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
Hi Wyatt,

OP relays Serial Number as being 343874.

Too high for an m1909.

If indeed this is a 1937-ish New Service, in .45 Colt, then, of course, there would never have been any Stampings on the Butt.

The Non-Bolstered Barrel is a little puzzling, but, maybe it was re-Barreled somewhere along the way, using an early Barrel.
Hi, Oye. Did you see the serial number range for the 1909s in the 2nd link I posted? Maybe they got the numbers wrong but according to that this gun could be a 1909 IF they had their own number system that didn't start with "1". If they are mixed in with the regular N.S. guns then it sure can't be a 1909. But I can't get over that mark on the O.P.'s gun where a 1909 inspection mark usually is. And I can't figure why I'm spending so much time being concerned about this guy's gun. Maybe the obsession to solve mysteries and learn new stuff, I guess.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts