Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a 1952 Cobra in .38 Special I stumbled onto that was labeled "unfired". I can't guarantee that, but it shows little or no signs of use.
The stocks are pretty cheesy, and shrunk away from the frame a little. It was gummy inside but cleaned up well. Still, the DA pull is a bit heavy but clean and sharp.
I almost can't bear to shoot it. Kind of hard to imagine filling it with Gold Dots and shoving in a holster.
I'd take opinions of its worth.
Bill

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Bill,since nobody has responded,I will comment.

Alloy framed guns,with annodized finish on the frame,like the Cobra,tend to show finish loss faster than blued or nickled all steel guns,if they have been carried in a holster,and even shot/handled without being properly cleaned and wiped down.

From your photo,this guns shows minimal,if any finish loss,so it might be unfired(yet I have a .22 Cobra that has been shot some,and "protected" my daughter in a big city while at med. school;she did NOT carry it in a holster.

The grip shrinkage,is "odd",and I have never seen this with genuine plastic "Coltwood" stocks.Aftermarket,Franzite stocks are notorious for this shrinkage on Colts.

As far as value,you did not say if the gun has the correct box and papers,and this would add some to it's value,as it appears "mint".

4" bbl. Cobras are "uncommon" compared to the 2",but by no means in the "very rare" category,especially in .38 Special chambering.

The older D frames,except for ultra rare models like the Courier,are not as sought after by most collectors as some of the larger I frame guns. Without the box,I would say $450 value tops,and a collector will point out "the issue" with the grip shrinkage.

Hope this helps,and probably not the value you expected to hear.

Bud

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I don't know, Bud.
Thanks for the reply.
Since I paid a lot less than $450 (closer to $300, but it was mixed in a deal with a Diamondback), I'd say I came out well, even though it did not have a box or anything else.
And since I'm not that much of a collector, and I pretty much shoot all of my guns as much as I can (I lay off my aluminum frames a bit), I think I'm more concerned about fouling up a collector's item with my grubby Berry's.
In other words, should I have it taken away?
Bill

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would say you got a darn good deal. My opinion on that gun is, that it does in the condition it's in have some collector value.

They don't make em anymore, so hold on to it for a few years. I don't shoot my alloy frames because as Bud mentioned they do mark up easily.

We all have plenty of others to shoot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts