Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an orphan pair of hard rubber grips that came on my 1957 .45 I got around 1987. They aren't numbered to the gun but I just put them on again for the hell of it and they fit perfect. Then I realized I have a gun now as close as I'll ever get to Frank Hamer's "Old Lucky" .45. Mine was nickeled over bare metal when I had it engraved. His was silver plated but it's so worn I always thought it was blued.

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OH BOY !!! If only "Old Lucky" could talk, what a tale it would tell.
Ain't it the truth. In the years after the wild west was supposedly settled, Frank Hamer told his son on his death bed "I killed 52 men and one women. I killed them all right (legally)". That was mentioned in that book pictured. Texas in those oil boom early days didn't get the memo that the wild west was over.

·
Premium Member
4,494 Posts
I remember when old lucky sold back in the mid to late 80's and it wasn't a ton of money back then....but today......no telling what it might bring if it came up for sale.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Ain't it the truth. In the years after the wild west was supposedly settled, Frank Hamer told his son on his death bed "I killed 52 men and one women. I killed them all right (legally)". That was mentioned in that book pictured. Texas in those oil boom early days didn't get the memo that the wild west was over.
Bill Tilghman lasted until the 20's oil boom in Oklahoma when he was killed.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Jim,

I was just thinking the same thing about Tilghman.

Wyatt,

Nice gun you have there. I bet Hamer's has more silver left on it than apparent. The silver just turns black! I know it's sacrilege to clean patina off of old guns, but it's OK to clean off dirt and crud. If I had an old silver plated gun turned black, that's the one time I'd consider a gentle silver washing, not polishing! Just the gentle 'bath' approved for use on antique silver jewelry and silverware.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Jim,

I was just thinking the same thing about Tilghman.

Wyatt,

Nice gun you have there. I bet Hamer's has more silver left on it than apparent. The silver just turns black! I know it's sacrilege to clean patina off of old guns, but it's OK to clean off dirt and crud. If I had an old silver plated gun turned black, that's the one time I'd consider a gentle silver washing, not polishing! Just the gentle 'bath' approved for use on antique silver jewelry and silverware.
Bill Tilghmans widows name was Zoe,she survived him clear into the 1960's,she was younger than he was,she also wrote several articles for True West mag. back when Joe Small owned it.I've subscribed to TW ever since it 1st came out in 1953,I gotta bunch of 'em.

·
Premium Member
Collect older handguns from Colt and S&W primarily
432 Posts
Nice old SAA and that book is apparently quite collectible too. I just recently found an autographed copy on Amazon.com and am in the process of reading it right now. They only had 1 copy and the seller said it was getting rather rare...

I have an orphan pair of hard rubber grips that came on my 1957 .45 I got around 1987. They aren't numbered to the gun but I just put them on again for the hell of it and they fit perfect. Then I realized I have a gun now as close as I'll ever get to Frank Hamer's "Old Lucky" .45. Mine was nickeled over bare metal when I had it engraved. His was silver plated but it's so worn I always thought it was blued.

Reactions: Wyatt Burp
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.