Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spotted a first generation, black powder frame mix master. Old reblue, wrong grips, wrong cylinder pin, wrong ejector, roll marked Frontier Six Shooter barrel, likely a later replacement. Mechanically, 4 good clicks, reasonable timing and lock up. Looks like it was assembled by somebody who was competent a long time ago. What kind of money is an 1886 not too ugly shooter going for these days?

If I can get some pictures, I'll post 'em later.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sounds like an ideal shooters gun for someone who wants a first gen and is resposible enough to use black powder only in it. I've got a few of these and am teaching the next two generations how to use them safely. I ususally try to get them for around $1000-$1200 as well, then make sure they are safe to shoot.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, no pictures. Went back the next day and it was gone. LGS said $1995 and the guy never flinched, just whipped out the plastic.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
People are paying a large premium for legal antiques. pre-1899. They fear background check and other laws on the horizon. Legal antiques have not even been discussed as being influenced by any new laws.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
The gun haters, a very small minority, would like to see all guns gone. But the vast majority of people who are calling for more gun control are really only concerned with high capacity semi-auto rifles and pistols, the guns being commonly used in high profile shootings, and the guns of choice for criminals. If asked about post-1898 lever rifles and single action revolvers, I bet they would say "we don't care about those". So, if inevitable laws do come up, we have to be sure to protect as many guns as possible, and not get all guns legislated against together.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
In my area there are guys that buy those types of guns to turn them into BBQ pieces. They pay $1000 up to $1200 for them.
That's what I did with a 5 1/2" SAA I bought at an estate sale years ago.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The gun haters, a very small minority, would like to see all guns gone. But the vast majority of people who are calling for more gun control are really only concerned with high capacity semi-auto rifles and pistols, the guns being commonly used in high profile shootings, and the guns of choice for criminals. If asked about post-1898 lever rifles and single action revolvers, I bet they would say "we don't care about those". So, if inevitable laws do come up, we have to be sure to protect as many guns as possible, and not get all guns legislated against together.
Sorry, the gun haters want all guns banned. They are smart enough to start with small subsets and ban those, then expand the subset and ban those, until all guns are gone. People that have never owned a gun may not be a "gun hater" but do not know the difference between an assault rifle and a pre-1900 lever action rifle (I was working in NJ and was told that lever actions were banned). They also don't collect, don't hunt, don't believe in self defense, don't belief in the 2nd amendment and don't understand why anyone needs a weapon.

·
Registered
114 Posts
There may be a simpler theory - the Frankengun buyer saw what was presented to him as a first generation gun, he (presumably a him) got all wide-eyed and didn't know or didn't care. I know we all see a lot of these on the internet and usually pass them up because of the price versus originality. Some folks just want a 1st generation SAA regardless. The who background check thing might or might not be an issue for people buying older SAAs. Not everyone can spot wrong ejectors, barrels, cylinders hammers, etc.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
In 1968, with the GCA68, we thought gun ownership was over for sure. We thought that law was just the start, and confiscation was coming. Here it is, over 50 years later, and there are more guns available and more guns being sold than ever before. CCWs are becoming common instead of the rarity they once were. Shooting sports are flourishing. Crime rate, including the murder rate, is way down from 50 years ago. If it were not for the many recent mass shootings the current cry for gun control would not even be occurring. Even after all of these bad mass shootings the past few years very little has been done to restrict gun ownership. And what little has been done concerns high cap mags and certain semi-autos, the guns being used in these high profile crimes. Sure other types of guns are used to kill people, but to kill large numbers of people in a short period of time requires high cap mags and semi-autos. The police are now trained and equipped to deal with these shootings quickly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts