Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of grips that I think are made of "Franzite" but i'm really not sure what that is. They seem to fit an I frame with one exception, the grip stud pin is too big to fit in the grip hole. Can anyone identify these and tell me what they might be worth. I really can't recall where I picked them up

Attachments

·
Registered
907 Posts
You have Coltwood stocks, not Franzite. Yours are OEM, while Franzite were aftermarket. Do a search for "Coltwood" for many threads on this topic.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
In line with what Bushwhacker said, Franzite was the trade name and a play on the owner of the company's last name. There is no plastic named Franzite.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
You see these alot on the Officers Model Special. Im not sure yours are actual Colt wood stocks. They are missing the escutcheon and that leads me to believe they are after market.

·
Registered
907 Posts
But remember, the screws with the double slots (right and left side) and the screw with the "blind" nut on the right side had no escutcheons. Genuine, IMO.

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
A little more info.
Early in WWII Colt began making a war-time version of the Official Police they called the "Commando".
To save time and money and speed production they made the grips from an early plastic they called "Coltwood".
These had a rather plain reddish brown color.

After the war Colt continued using plastic grips on most all of their pistols. For a time the plastic was given a swirled mottled appearance that resembled figured wood, then later, the color became a very plain reddish brown color, until Colt went back to checkered walnut in the early 50's.
These early plastic grips tend to shrink.

Value is not high since they aren't particularly rare.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You see these alot on the Officers Model Special. Im not sure yours are actual Colt wood stocks. They are missing the escutcheon and that leads me to believe they are after market.
I have had these for about 30 years. I can't imagine anyone making copies of these things that far back. I don't need them so I will put them up for sale here soon. Anyone want to tell me what a fair price would be?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I have had these for about 30 years. I can't imagine anyone making copies of these things that far back. I don't need them so I will put them up for sale here soon. Anyone want to tell me what a fair price would be?
I also think they are originals. However, the Franzite Co. sold plastic copies of Colt and other brand handgun grips for a lot longer than 30 years! :)

·
Registered
907 Posts
Minus the screw, and with the chips on the bottom, perhaps $25 would be fair. JMO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts