Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy I know got some ammo for his minty Spencer carbine. Apparently it wasn't accurate but fun to shoot. When he bought it the seller said $1,200. My friend said I'll take it and met the guy as fast as he could. Couple days later the seller called him back demanding more money because he said my friend knew it was worth more. Seems the seller researched it AFTER selling it. After the annoying demands, my friend told the guy "tough feces, you came up with the price" and that was that. The moral of the story, of course, is value your gun BEFORE selling it. Duh!

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Once the deal is done, it's done unless there was some inspection period on the BUYERS end. I'd have laughed my butt off at the guy "demanding" more money and referred him to a local beverage station where he could drown his sorrows. That's priceless.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
There have been many cases where I have informaed a person that what they were selling had a higher value than what they were asking. It all comes down to personal beliefs, and what your comfrot level is. I am all for a fair deal, but do not believe in trampling people either. Maybe if I was in the gun game for proift I would feel differently but I do not like to be on the receiving side of a screw job, and don't want to hand one out either. YMMV

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
With all the valuation sources for guns available these days, that guy was just lazy. I hope your friend didn't sprain something getting his wallet out that fast.

There's an old quote sometimes attributed to John Wayne, "Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid."

Buck

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
When this subject comes up there seems to be a difference from buying an old widow's gun she knows nothing about, and walking through a gun show and seeing a gun at a ridiculously low price. My friend knew he was getting a good deal from a gun guy who chose to sell it at that price. Two years ago I bought my original Colt Bisley for $500 at a usually high priced local consignment gun shop. The seller had many guns there and was a gun guy. He dropped the price from $800 when I told the store owner there was a slight bulge in the barrel and it needed a trigger & bolt spring (Which I fixed in 5 minutes after getting the gun home). I made no offers or suggestions about the price. He came up with $500. I of course didn't meet the seller, but he dropped the price over the phone with the store. I slept just as good that night as my friend with the Spencer did. Here's that guilt free Bisley for the hundredth time.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
A guy came into my friend's gun shop with a Dakota 76 .308 rifle with a Leupold scope. The gun was in about 98% condition. He wanted to trade it for a used lever action hog leg. My friend asked him, "Do you know what this gun is worth?" The guy says, "I got it from an old boss as a gift a few years ago and I don't shoot it, so I don't care." Needless to say, my friend made the trade. He got a $4500 Dakota for a $600 trade. Go figure.

Reactions: Colt-SL

·
Registered
280 Posts
PT Barnum said theres a sucker born every minute, I tend to go one step farther and say theres a Genuine Dumb A born every minute. If that seller was so dumb as to sell the gun for less than its value, its his loss. It also took a heck of a set of family jewels to call the buyer and complain about it

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Now no offence you understand but consider where you are located. The land of fruits and nuts indeed. Now calm down, you know I was just kidding around. I think your friend acted in an honorable way especially since we have no photos of the Spencer to judge condition and therefore establish any other value than the stated $1200. On the other hand the seller established the price and your friend payed said amount so by definition that is what it was worth at that time and place.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
The seller learned a valuable lesson in evaluating that which you wish to sell. He now knows to do his due diligence. That may be worth twice what he lost in trade!

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Now no offence you understand but consider where you are located. The land of fruits and nuts indeed. Now calm down, you know I was just kidding around. I think your friend acted in an honorable way especially since we have no photos of the Spencer to judge condition and therefore establish any other value than the stated $1200. On the other hand the seller established the price and your friend payed said amount so by definition that is what it was worth at that time and place.
Just because I live behind the Lavender Curtain doesn't mean the whole state is like the Bay Area and L.A. who make all the dumb laws. There's a few members of the resistance like me who hide in our attics like Ann Franke trying to keep the smell of Hoppes 9 from giving us away to the gun smelling poodles of the anti-gun Nazis. But about the Spencer. I saw it and was amazed at the condition. But I didn't inspect it enough about refinish, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
You have the model 1860 spencer carbine with the 22" barrel which should be a .52 caliber (civil war vintage) Then you have the later 1865 model with a 20" barrel in 50 caliber.

I've seen several 1860's that were converted to 50 caliber with their barrels cut to 20" that were refinished during the conversion. Pretty amazing case colors and blue on them.

I would rather crawl through a 1000 yards of broken glass than to go back and ask a buyer for more money after a deal.......don't sell anything until you have done your own research on what you are selling and be a man in your business dealings which would probably fall on deaf ears when dealing with a no class act like your friend did!

Reactions: Hopalong

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
The seller learned a valuable lesson in evaluating that which you wish to sell. He now knows to do his due diligence. That may be worth twice what he lost in trade!

Too bad the seller doidn't learn that his word is his bond. When you make a deal with another man, that becomes a contract, written or not. You are expected to live up to that contract, no matter what. There's legal, then there's right. Right should prevail.

Bob Wright

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Too bad the seller doidn't learn that his word is his bond. When you make a deal with another man, that becomes a contract, written or not. You are expected to live up to that contract, no matter what. There's legal, then there's right. Right should prevail.

Bob Wright
1000% agree!

·
Registered
109 Posts
The problem in this day and age, is the "its always someone else fault" attitude in our society. We have lost personal accountability. We see it in education where i) parents call teachers and ask why they didnt get an 'A' (because dumb*ss they didnt work as hard as they should have), ii) Why a guy gets condemned and "tried" in the media for defending himself (because - well not openning that can of worms) , iii) a guy gets upset he sells a firearm for less than its worth (because he didnt get off his a** and look it up before agreeing - takes all of 5 mins on the web).

Sigh - my facetious mail for the day.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Just because I live behind the Lavender Curtain doesn't mean the whole state is like the Bay Area and L.A. who make all the dumb laws. There's a few members of the resistance like me who hide in our attics like Ann Franke trying to keep the smell of Hoppes 9 from giving us away to the gun smelling poodles of the anti-gun Nazis. But about the Spencer. I saw it and was amazed at the condition. But I didn't inspect it enough about refinish, etc.
LOL, thank heavens it's not that bad here... Yet.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I still shake my head at some of the deals I've managed to get; nothing old or rare; but recently bought a Kahr CW-9 in the box with magazines, manual, etc. for $325 out the door. I traded it less then a week later for a like new Sig Sauer P-228 in the box with three mags and the factory test target. Easily a $800 - $900 gun. The other half of the trade was OK with the trade because his girlfriend wanted the Kahr.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Once again this is the infamous "Blame someone else for your mistake."If you are the seller and agree to a price that is too low just "Blame the Buyer." My dad taught that your word is your bond,too bad others don't feel the same.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts