Colt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I captured a screen shot of Sergeant Joe Friday’s gun used in “Dragnet 1967.” A Smith & Wesson Model 10 snubby revolver. What is interesting is that it has a flat latch. While in my box of snubbies I have a Model 10, unfortunately it is not a flat latch. I am now on a new quest.

Bumper Bicycle part Wood Automotive exterior Tool

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
I captured a screen shot of Sergeant Joe Friday’s gun used in “Dragnet 1967.” A Smith & Wesson Model 10 snubby revolver. What is interesting is that it has a flat latch. While in my box of snubbies I have a Model 10, unfortunately it is not a flat latch. I am now on a new quest.

View attachment 798728
Is the flat latch earlier?

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
Here’s an old thread on S&W Forum about Jack Webb, Dragnet, his guns, then drifts into the guns of Adam-12 and Hawaii Five-O. The late “Ferrillmerrill” is posted there which means it was way before they banned him for life. Apparently S&W presented Webb with guns and a Model 12 is mentioned, too. And also Colts.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It could be a Model 12 which was the alloy version of the Model 10 and had a flat latch.
Just when I thought I had it figured out. The Movie Firearms Database lists it as a Model 10, but now I am not so sure.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Looks like a five shooter to me and as far as I know they only used the flat latch on J frames from 1950 to 1966. It is a later model since it has the ramp front sight. He did also use a M&P or model 10 and used a Colt DS in a couple of earlier shows. Does not look like alloy to me , the frame looks blued.

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
Looks like a five shooter to me and as far as I know they only used the flat latch on J frames from 1950 to 1966. It is a later model since it has the ramp front sight. He did also use a M&P or model 10 and used a Colt DS in a couple of earlier shows. Does not look like alloy to me , the frame looks blued.
At first glance I thought it might be an early Chiefs Special, but the cylinder bolt cuts are over the chambers which made me think it’s an early M&P.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts