Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine that knows that I like Colt SAA sent me some pics that I am including here. The gun is for sale but he did not give me a price yet. He wants to know what I feel it is worth. He isn't looking for me to make an offer but wants to see how close his friend has it priced.
I like the MOP grips. The cylinder looks correct to me but refinished. Do you think the gun has been refinished too?
What is fair market value to you? I am sure it's over priced or he would of told me about what a great deal he found me, but I would appreciate any insight on this as I often over look details.
Wood Natural material Artifact Tool Gun accessory

Musical instrument Wood Musical instrument accessory Electronic instrument Gas

Human body Wood Musical instrument Artifact Foot

Bicycle part Carbon Tire Publication Bicycle tire

Office supplies Material property Pen Font Metal

Vision care Eyewear Liquid Wood Rectangle

Light Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel

Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Cant really tell anything because the pics won't enlarge! I like the grips also. What would you value the grips at by themselves, stand alone?

Based on what can be seen, its hard to say that its been refinished though.
Jim

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad to hear you guys believe it's the original finish. What about the fire blue screws? Whats fair market value in todays world?

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Just an FYI - I'm not definitively saying anything about the originality of the finish, much less the value, without better pics.... but in the small pics the edges all appear sharp and crisp. Can't even tell what caliber. He have an Archive letter?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good observation about the edges. No factory letter. I do like them but the owner never got one. Without the letter I am guessing the MOP grips are not factory.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Cant see the detail of the escutcheon, but grips appear, from what I can see, to fit pretty well. There was a feature in either the TGCA Mag or Rampant Colt not that long ago, that showed pics of quite a few of the Colt carved grip patterns... maybe even the date range... I don't remember.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
From what I can tell from the pictures provided it looks like a very nice all original SAA, also based based on the picture showing the front of the cylinder, it's most likely a .45 Colt.. As to price for an 1886 black powder SAA with a lot of original finish, I can't offer an opinion, particularly in this bazar period of crazy gun prices. I know it would be well north of my gun buying limit.

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Sharp pictures of the markings would tell if it is refinished. In the pictures the markings look weak, particularly the patent dates, caliber marking, and butt serial number.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Grips - two piece carved pearls - start at 1k alone. Probably closer to 1300-1500ish. I saw an uncarved set sell recently for 1k really fast. I'd sport for the expedited info and get the letter. If they were factory, likely not but, if they are, they'd bump that value up right quick attached to the original gun all these years later. For the value of that gun, especially if it's in original condition, the cost of the letter wouldn't even be a concern. And, if you get it and it reveals anything (ship location, pearl grips) that boosts the value, keep that info tight until you've made the purchase. Boom - instant value increase for you. If you don't buy it, you could always offer it to the person who does buy it. I can't imagine many who would own that gun who wouldn't want the letter anyway.

As for the total price - I'll leave that to others who deal in that "value" level Colts more often and watch from the sidelines. The markings do look pretty decent and clean, with sharp edges.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
As said from the small pics it looks like a well preserved original finish. More pics would help to confirm. Grips from later period. Maybe '30s. IMO, grips are $1200.00 alone. If original with that amount of finish and without grips $5200.00 - $5500.00. JMO!

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
As said from the small pics it looks like a well preserved original finish. More pics would help to confirm. Grips from later period. Maybe '30s. IMO, grips are $1200.00 alone. If original with that amount of finish and without grips $5200.00 - $5500.00. JMO!
Rick may be little light on the price of the grips, as to the gun he is spot on IF as he says the finish is correct, but with the poor pictures provided it is some what of a challenge to price this correctly. Without better pictures I would back off 20 percent on his pricing.
Take care, Duane

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again guys. I only have one set of real MOP grips. They are plain, no carving on them but they were very affordable. These grips look expensive to me. I hope my friend tells me his friends asking price soon.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Rick may be little light on the price of the grips, as to the gun he is spot on IF as he says the finish is correct, but with the poor pictures provided it is some what of a challenge to price this correctly. Without better pictures I would back off 20 percent on his pricing.
Take care, Duane
Yeah, what I would pay and the value may be different! 😁

·
Registered
91 Posts
Unless there's something really wrong with your friend's SAA, which is not visible in your photos, it should be worth between $6 and $10K. I'm assuming it functions mechanically, hasn't been refinished and has no replaced parts other than the grips. From your pics it looks to be about 80% original finish which is rare for an 1880s SAA. Spend the money to get it lettered if you're serious about buying it.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I am in line with Terry's thinking, if the gun is original. If original (with the exception of the grips-which are still worth considerable money) and if it was a short barrel .45 or .44, I think it break through $8k pretty quick.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
The actual appearance of the patent dates and caliber marking will tell the tale. If refinished and with non original grips, the price will sink substantially.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Grips are worth at least $2000 and gun is probably in the $6000 range.
Agreed. At least $2k grips alone. BP gun in original condition? Big $$ If it letters as is? More yet. That is a Colt craving pattern. It is just not seen very often. I would have already called and lettered it via the phone eve without an asking price.

Refinished by whom? If so was it Colt? If not still some very expensive and look to be nicely fit grips and a desirable BP frame Colt. No one is gonna give that away I suspect.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well my buddy Rob told me earlier today that the seller claims that he has turned down $11,000.00 for the gun. So I am definitely out, I do not have deep pockets as they say. I wish Rob never even told me about the gun. He told me he was going to buy the man's 1903 Springfield and asked me if I would be interested in his old Colt. Rob sent me the pics that he took when he picked up the 1903. I kind of wish he never even mentioned the Colt to me.. Heck he knows I drive a 1996 Tahoe with 260,000 miles on it.
I guess next time Rob tries to get me to buy something I won't bite until he reveals the price..
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to share your thought of this gun with me. I do appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts