Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have encourged a friend of mine to pursue a revolver (till now he has been a fully automatic man)as his next handgun (I'm more of a revolver man...but I still have a 1911).
Looking around, he likes the Colt Trooper MK IV. Do you think he could find one for around $300? How much roughly are these kind of guns worth?
Can anyone give any kind of history of this weapon?
Thanks

Doug

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
There's a Trooper MKIII, and a Trooper MKV, but assuming the MKIV is a typo and you actually mean the Trooper MKIII, your friend should be able to find a decent shooter in that price range. The really nice ones are beginning to escalate in price, and the MKV's are a bit on the scarce side, but a MKIII with enough wear to disinterest a collector should fall within your price estimate.
The MKIII was a redesign to get production costs down by reducing all the hand fitting required on earlier guns. I've found them to be no better, or no worse, than any other Colt revolver. I have several and at least one of each caliber, including the elusive MKIII OMM .38, and never had a problem with the ones I shoot. .22LR, 22Mag, or .357.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He keeps saying "I like the Colt Trooper MK IV" so I just assumed that's what it said on the side of the gun. I've seen MK III and V, I just assumed there must be a MK IV since he keeps saying that's what it was and because there is usually a IV in between III and V. Why did Colt skip IV and go to V?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The Mark IV was one of the 1911 autos which came out at about the same time as the Trooper Mark III. You can probably find one fairly easily in the $350-$400 price range if very good condition. Below $350, it gets harder to find one except unless your friend is not real choosey about the condition of the finish. I saw a fairly nice Trooper (old model) 4" 357 that had holster wear for $200 this week. It was probably about a 95% gun with some abuse to the stocks.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,906 Posts
Colt often did inexplicable things to model names and numbers.

There is the Colt Trooper, then the Trooper Mark III.
What happened to the "Trooper Mark II"?

Then there is the Trooper Mark V. Where's the Trooper Mark IV?

We have our 1911 autos, then we have our Mark IV 1911 autos.
Where's the Mark II and III?

I'm sure Colt had good reasons for these disparities, but they didn't share them.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Colt often did inexplicable things to model names and numbers.

We have our 1911 autos, then we have our Mark IV 1911 autos.
Where's the Mark II and III?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't think there is a MKII, but I have one of the MKIII Colt semi-autos. It was the 38 spl mid range Gold Cup produced from 1961 to 1974. It was Colts answer to the S&W model 52 but I have both and it ain't even close!

·
Registered
807 Posts
ohiobuckeye:

Did you mean that the mid-range .38 Spl,(Gold Cup) Colt Mark III wasn't even close to the S&W Model 52-or, vise-versa?

·
Registered
807 Posts
ohiobuckeye:

Whew, that was close! I'm glad to know that I didn't make a mistake in buying my Model 52 recently!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts