Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As one gets more grey in the head, both grey matter and hair, one comes to understand the value of friends.

I've been collecting firearms for almost fifty years wether I knew it or not, but until I made life long friends with others with true interests in specific fields did I learn to truly collect firearms.

Sharps rifles were my first true passion, having owned thirty or so of these fine rifles I was able to meet many truly learned individuals who showed me my many errors.

Remington rolling block sporters where next up and are still a strong part of my interest.

Colt's have always been part of the picture but have come on stronger over the last few years.

The point of this conversation is how important it is to find those people who know so much and are willing to share it. Wether it is in person or on a internet forum.

So here thanks to those who step up and help out those who are trying to learn, thank you very much.

Take care, Duane Johnson

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
That is a meaningful statement sir, and as you seem to notice, those things shared with "friends of a feather", so to speak, come to have a stronger meaning.

Seeing / owning the most amazing item or sight in the world is greatly enhanced when shared with a friend of similar interest.

By the way Duane Johnson, it is a pleasure to welcome "THE ROCK" to the forum. I know "The Rock" has a strong dislike for anti-gun hillary, but certainly didn't know of the collector interest. :D :D

·
W.E.Coyote Acme Computer Genius
1,165 Posts
My Stepson and I were talking one day and he was telling me about his "Friends'

With me knowing these people, I Told him that they were acquaintances, Not friends.

Then I said I will prove it to you right now.

Lets say your 150 miles away in Detroit Michigan, You need 500 Bucks and a ride home for what ever reason.

What one of your friends do you call?

He says, I'd call you!

I Said Nope, No family....what "Friend" Do you call?

He said none...

Then I told him ....See, You don't have any True friends.

Reactions: RDS and ei8ht

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
A good friend will bail you out of jail. A great friend will be sitting in the cell with you saying..."Man...we effed up!"

·
Registered
140 Posts
The saddest day of my life was a short time ago, after a very long satisfying life, filled with many many "friends ?", found that I didn't have a "True Friend ?" left. After I became unable to do work for all of my many "friends", and even their friends, they promptly dropped, and forgot me. It taught me a great lesson. If I had it all to do over again I'd never cultivate a so called "friendship", but, limit people to aquaintances only! It is far to painful to loose a friend, especially one thought to be a "True Friend". That folks, is my estimation of friendship.

Sut

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I have always felt many people use the word friend a little loosely. I think many times they say "friend" like I would say a "acquaintance". To me, a friend was guys I knew that hunted with me, pop in unannounced and we would go to lunch together etc. Not just someone I slightly knew or seen at work or church a few times.

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
All my old best friends are dead. My wife gets on me because I don't "mingle" at church.
I get that. As we age it gets that way more and more often...it's part of life. Less than two years ago one of my best, all-time friends died of injuries from an auto accident. We worked together as cops. When asked to describe him I said he was the kind of friend and colleague who, if you got in trouble on the street, would never back you up as he was already standing beside you. When his son was born he asked me to be his godfather. I still haven't stopped crying over losing him.

Nobody gets out of this life alive.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Come to think of it several of them were ex cops too that were guards with me on their retirement job. One in particular was close as a brother and since we ran around together almost daily off the job too, I can think of at least three times he had my back and a couple times I had his. Once he and his wife brought a neighbor girl to meet me and we were having a BBQ in my yard. My dog Rusty was howling out of his mind and they pressed me to let him out of his pen. Soon it sounded like a slaughter house out in the front yard. Rusty had the neighbors cat up a tree. The neighbor was also a casual friend of mine but now he was a drunk Indian with a shotgun! School had just let out down the street and there were many kids walking pass. "Ray" was taking a bead on Rusty! I yelled "RAY, put up that damn gun!" He was very drunk and put the muzzle a couple feet from my belly! I seen buddy Bill had worked his way behind Ray and had his snub pointing a few feet away with both hands from the back of Rays head! Ray grumbled something and lowered the shotgun from my gut. I don't think he ever did know Bill had a gun at his head ! Of course we handled it and the police never was called.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
True friends are very, very rare.

"All my old best friends are dead."

My old pard Joe passed on two months ago. Joe would drive to hell and back to get you out of a jam.

A great guy, kind- hearted, rough- AF retired, SE Asia wanderer, knew more about Africa than many Africans, corresponded with a witch docter lol no joke and Jack O'Conner, Capstick and others.

A artist, knew more about ERB, than most anyone got kicked out of the ERB fan zine site- when they tried to turn Tarzan into a tofu eater. lol

A shooter and well versed gun guy.

Photographer to Gen Curtis Lemay- Lemay baught Joe is first lobster diner at a SAC air base officers club. Met JFK at a flight line in DC.

Kept a bottle of Snake wine from Laos in a shelf in his massive library..Scared hell out of his wife when she found it lol.

Don't make friends like Joe anymore... Old breed American GI, best we got.

Miss him every day.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
As one gets more grey in the head, both grey matter and hair, one comes to understand the value of friends.

I've been collecting firearms for almost fifty years wether I knew it or not, but until I made life long friends with others with true interests in specific fields did I learn to truly collect firearms.

Sharps rifles were my first true passion, having owned thirty or so of these fine rifles I was able to meet many truly learned individuals who showed me my many errors.

Remington rolling block sporters where next up and are still a strong part of my interest.

Colt's have always been part of the picture but have come on stronger over the last few years.

The point of this conversation is how important it is to find those people who know so much and are willing to share it. Wether it is in person or on a internet forum.

So here thanks to those who step up and help out those who are trying to learn, thank you very much.

Take care, Duane Johnson
Well said, Duane.

·
Registered
140 Posts
In reviewing old threads, I discovered that I had done the only absolutely, 100% true friend of my lifetime, a great injustice. I had previously stated that I didn't have a true friend left, which was true, but, I failed to give my one "True Friend" credit, for his absolute friendship, while he was alive. I want to now, give "Charley B.", the credit due him for his "friendship".

My "Friend" Charley and I started our lives and friendship together, in a church when we were just a week old. That friendship continued, until Charley's death, a few years ago.

Anything that Charley possessed was yours for the asking, He was always ready to back you up, right or wrong, without your asking, I never seen him give up in a fight, he did his work to the best of his ability, Loved, and supported his wife and children 100%, Loved a practical joke, even when played upon him, and tried to limit an oversupply of beer, on the open market.

I enjoyed Charley, and his family's friendship, our swimming, camping, hunting and fishing trips, and was at his home to share our friendship with him the day that he passed away.

It pains me deeply, that Charley lies buried in a grave, in a cemetery, a member of a church, that I don't think was of his choosing, just to please his family, but that was his way.

This story makes me very sad, but I feel better, after telling about "Charley's Friendship".

·
Registered
606 Posts
Since I retired from Law Enforcement 3 years ago, I can count on one hand of how many so called "Friends" have contacted me to see how I was doing, the ones that still do were always the ones that stood by you with the good and the bad over the years. The loss of true friends and mentors is always hard as we get older as well.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Most if not all of my old friends are dead. One is alive and lives about 2,000 miles away but we are no longer in touch. I have moved and worked all over the country. I suppose its different when you live and stay in one area all your life. Several months ago I attended a church men`s breakfast with some guys from another town. Sat alongside this guy and found out we were raised a couple miles apart in Wisconsin, now we are both retired in the boonies of Utah. He is a little older than me. When I seen him 65 years ago he and his wife were young missionary`s home on leave. Evidently he quit that and now is a retired commercial pilot. He didn't remember me but I had seen him a few times as I knew his brothers about 65 years ago and had seen him around.
People use the word friends too loosely when I think a better word in most situations is a "acquaintance". It seems many of us left home from poor areas to move to where you can make a living and after that retire in a area where you dont know anybody. That`s a fact of life for most of us.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
This thread comes back at a time when I've been thinking about the friends I've made here and I have a request/suggestion. I think we should sign our post with our first name. It's so much more personal than "OP" or a moniker like "Joe Bag-O-Doughnuts". Please consider signing your post with Bob, Jack or Frank rather than having someone have to reply to "Shrimp-on-the Barbie".

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
My best friends are old friends that have been with me through the test of time. I am too old to make those kinda friends now because frankly I don't have that much time left. However I like to treat good people as my new best friend because they deserve it. I know they are good by who they became in their life.

Jim

1 - 20 of 24 Posts