Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't sure what thread to put this in, so just thought I would start one. Moderator can delete if not in appropriate section.
I have been collecting S&W for over 50 years. Have had several Colts over the years and think they are great guns. I just never could afford them.
Some S&W buddies and I are just curious as to why people are paying $500-$1000 over MSRP on the new Pythons. To my understanding, they are not limited editions and will probably be made for quite a while. I have been watching Gunbroker over the past week and blown away at the prices they are bringing. A small gun dealer about 40 miles from me are selling them below MSRP. They got in about 10 and sold them pretty quick, but if you get on a prepaid list, you are guaranteed one as they come in.. He is expecting another shipment in 2 weeks.This guy has been in business for several years and I have purchased several guns from them and know they are a reputable dealer.

I look at it like it is your money so spend it the way you like, But again, was just curious why so many people are paying over MSRP for them?

Thanks and have a Blessed Evening!

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Low IQ or show offs. I’ve known lots of millionaires, most of them you would never have guessed that they could afford a new truck. A few of them just like to flaunt it. This reminds me of when the first Mazda Miata was released. Those that preordered got their cars at MSRP, then the feeding frenzy began and dealers raked in the cash.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Self made millionaires NEVER overpay for anything. Thats how they got rich, and thats how they stay rich and get richer. Legacy millionaires never made the money so they dont value it.
Self Made Millionaires that are not getting anything back on Treasury Bills like to invest in something that will go up in value, which does not happen with Smith & Wessons.

·
Registered
75 Posts
PENT UP DEMAND!

The Python has been deified in the past 20 years in media and legend and lore. Mostly because it hasn't been available. It burst onto the scene without much warning and the people with more money than brains saw red like a bull in a ring!

It IS, however, immediately the best looking production revolver available once again though....especially since Smith has lost their minds putting out those new Classics.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for your comments. That explains a few things and I agree that the Python is the most beautiful revolver on the market and I've often wondered over the years why they haven't released it sooner. It does look like they have done a good job with it. I will be interested to see if they start producing it in blue or nickel. The older Smith revolvers ( pre-82's) have increased in value at a pretty good rate but S&W cut their own throat when they up and volunteered to start using internal locks on their revolvers. As far as their Classics, they are not popular with the collectors at all.
Thank you again for the info and have a Blessed Day!

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
I think there's numerous reasons why Colt didn't do this earlier. They've been in precarious financial shape for quite some time and getting R&D funding for such a venture was probably dicey at best. Colt dropped the older revolver lines years ago for business reasons...they weren't selling and cost too much to produce...it had become a semi-automatic world (digital) and Colt was stuck with old technology guns (analog). Add to that management trying to concentrate on government sales and not wanting to anger the anti-gun people with consumer guns. Actually...Colt's problems went back much longer ago than that...at least to the 1950s but that's another story.

While Colt has made some missteps (what company hasn't?)...they do seem to be trying to compete far more than they have in years. Double-action revolvers may be a smaller part of todays market but they do still sell in considerable numbers. Colt should be able to compete in that arena and it took modern design and manufacturing to do that...the older, traditional ways simply wouldn't allow it. I give Colt much kudos for re-entering the market with modern designs. There may be some problems in doing so but while no one wants to put out a less than perfect product it is to be expected at introduction. This is how one learns to fix issues that crop up...is it a design problem or a manufacturing (quality control) problem? There's no perfect product launch from anyone. Car makers can test their new auto designs all they want but until the cars get into the hands of actual buyers they don't know all potential issues. Some are easily addressable and should have been caught prior to launch...some take time after the buying public uses and misuses the product.

The British SAS has a motto..."Who Dares, Wins". Maybe Colt is following that in their own way.

Reactions: BusaDave

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Self made millionaires NEVER overpay for anything. Thats how they got rich, and thats how they stay rich and get richer. Legacy millionaires never made the money so they dont value it.
Self Made Millionaires that are not getting anything back on Treasury Bills like to invest in something that will go up in value, which does not happen with Smith & Wessons.
I guess if you consider 3K to 4K return in 50 years a great return, then I see your point. Early pythons are going for 3k to 4k regularly, with the exception of 99+ % examples. So I guess you plan on living till you're 3000? Thats what its gonna take to see a return on a gun that would make it a good investment. If you invested in the stock market 50 years ago you would have 100 to 200 times(maybe more im not a stock market guy) more of an ROI. Buying a gun as an investment is not a realistic move. You buy it cause you like it. Then in 4 generations your great grandchildren might strike gold, you certainly wont.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts