Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I picked up and handled a Colt Single Action Army. It was much smaller and lighter than I ever thought they'd be. This one was .45, 4 5/8ths barrel and, of course, NICKEL! To my hand, it beat the pudding out of the best Python I've ever had. Now, I haven't shot one, yet and if they shoot peach basket groups from a rest at twenty feet, "fa'get aboud id!"So, gents, what can I expect from this little beauty? Anybody ever actually carry one for protection? Seems like it and I could be GOOD friends. I once felt that way about a detective special - until I had to use it. Don't want to depend on it again. Then, the .45 auto was my friend, then the Python. Maybe I just like guns!? BIG guns? I suppose if I could shoot like McGivern, a .22 would do - huh? DFarisheel, my friend, I just can't get next to that Kahr. I'm told a Toyota is twice the car my Cadillac is, too, but, "Ya pays yer money and ya' takes yer choice!"

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
rcw

Just my .09 cents worth(inflation you know).
As you know, a SAA is by definition a single action and I use a single six around the property for slow fire varmit control but, it takes a LOT of practice to get good enough with a single action to use it for personal carry. I mean a LOT of practice, but some guys have mastered it and swear by them for PD. SAA's are IMHO a lot more fragile than let's say a Ruger Vaquero. When it comes to saving my butt, give me a good old DA M19 or Python anyday. Dick

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 10-02-2003).]

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, there Mr. DB68 ... tell me about your name sake? I've never shot a Diamondback but I've always admired the gun. What can you tell me about the 2 1/2" jobs? I once shot a 2 1/2" Python and was impressed how much barrel I could actually do without! (I was used to a 6" at the time.) Thanks for the advice about the SAA's. Can't argue about the #19 nor the Python, either! Who could? But, ... If I got mugged carrying a $1400 gun, maybe I could ransom myself! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamonback68:
rcw

As you know, a SAA is by definition a single action and I use a single six around the property for slow fire varmit control but, it takes a LOT of practice to get good enough with a single action to use it for personal carry. I mean a LOT of practice, but some guys have mastered it and swear by them for PD. SAA's are IMHO a lot more fragile than let's say a Ruger Vaquero. When it comes to saving my butt, give me a good old DA M19 or Python anyday. Dick

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
rcw

Another guy on another thread asked me the same basic question a while back. First about my handle, the reason I left out the "d", that stands for the missing "D" frame I still need for my collection (always need one more). I have nine DBs of the supposed twelve in my safe, all different. I have a blue 2 1/2" 38SPL and a blue 2 1/2" 22LR and as yet don't have either in nickel, that's two of the three missing ones. The one, a 2 1/2" nickel 22LR is a matter of conjecture as no-one, that I have found, has ever seen one. Some circles say they were never made, but that's a whole nother thread.
Now as far as shootin, packin, and handlin, I don't have a clue (wierd huh?) as none of my DBs have ever had a cartridge put in any of them by me and some of them have never had a cartridge put in them by anyone, save the factory test shots. Almost all of them have never been in a holster, ever! Now handlin, I do that about once a month when I take them out and check them over and wipe them down. These are strictly collector guns, period.
Now wasn't I a big help to you? Dick

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,888 Posts
In the .38 Special-only days of the LAPD, the Colt Diamondback was an "in" gun.

They make an excellent fill-in between the DS and the Python.
The only "problems", are the long target hammer spur, and the factory grips.

I've altered a few for carry use, by cutting off the hammer spur, or by rounding and altering a factory DS hammer. Replace the stocks with your choice, and you've got a great carry gun.
A coat of hard chrome is nice too, to prevent finish wear or rust.

Expensive these days, but it still fills the bill. You get he benefits of the DS with the sights and heavy muzzle of the Python.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Back to SAAs. Having had quite a few over the years I must say they are the easiest to shoot revolvers in my hands. Point naturally, low recoil and fits my hands perfectly. If you decide to carry it concealed I will suggest getting a Bob Mernickle PS6SA holster for it. The best in my book.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've someime carried a 2 1/2" Diamondback .38 in an Allessi IWB holster.

I didn't like the factory grips and replaced them with custom Herrett's Detective Model with are slightly longer, but narrower. The trigger shape isn't as comfortable as most S&W's, but is O.K.

It is reasonable accurate, and likes 125 grainers best.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello, Good Doctor! Your LAPD Diamondback sounds great. Having been a fan of, first, "Dragnet," and later, "Adam 12," I'm interested in their guns. I can't quite picture anything with the uniform but 22 year old, six foot, 145 lb. tennis players and 6" K-38's with those, "the-side-of-the-holster-flips-clean-open." What are those, anyway? They've always intrigued me. Would I like one of those for my .357! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dfariswheel:
In the .38 Special-only days of the LAPD, the Colt Diamondback was an "in" gun.

They make an excellent fill-in between the DS and the Python.
The only "problems", are the long target hammer spur, and the factory grips.

I've altered a few for carry use, by cutting off the hammer spur, or by rounding and altering a factory DS hammer. Replace the stocks with your choice, and you've got a great carry gun.
A coat of hard chrome is nice too, to prevent finish wear or rust.

Expensive these days, but it still fills the bill. You get he benefits of the DS with the sights and heavy muzzle of the Python.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will do the SAA eventually. If not for serious carry at least, "to have." Thanks for the input. They are the best feeling guns I've encountered yet - and I love the .45 auto, too. I've always felt the 2X revolvers to be the most awkward of everything, except 2X autos or Derringers, but the most expedient. Since I don't carry a gun for work - now, I'm a school teacher - they'd take a dim view of that - I can "eat my fill of all the food I bring myself!" <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Albert Shear:
Back to SAAs. Having had quite a few over the years I must say they are the easiest to shoot revolvers in my hands. Point naturally, low recoil and fits my hands perfectly. If you decide to carry it concealed I will suggest getting a Bob Mernickle PS6SA holster for it. The best in my book.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been re-reading Ed McGivern's, "Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting." Early on, he talks about he and a friend rating guns and how they both shot their best groups with the SAA, to their surprise! We know what Elmer Keith thought about them. Jeff Cooper's spent alot of time with them, too. I'm sure you're right about the Ruger, but I've tried, several times, with different guns of theirs, to warm up to them. So many people have such good things to say. Every time I've tried, I've wound up thinking, Yeah, this is nice, but, "for a few dollars more ...," and then up jumps a Colt! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamonback68:
rcw

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
52 Posts
Excuse my rant here......

[He's been dying to blurt out an explanation for his 'handle' and no one has ever asked him for an explanation even though he claims some guy did in another thread. And then there is absolutely no useful information offered on a subject to which he claims to be an expert. What a poser! What a bore!]

Rant over.......

·
Registered
153 Posts
Are you the guy that thinks "all" guns are "WEAPONS OF DESTRUCTION" if so I can understand you picking on something this small.
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by R. Walter:

Excuse my rant here......

[He's been dying to blurt out an explanation for his 'handle' and no one has ever asked him for an explanation even though he claims some guy did in another thread. And then there is absolutely no useful information offered on a subject to which he claims to be an expert. What a poser! What a bore!]

Rant over.......
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
R. Walter

What's your beef? I never said it was on this forum,did I? The question was asked about my handle on another forum, but I guess you read every word of every forum that was ever written. Also, if you will read the third thread above, rcw says......"tell me about your namesake" or do you only read into things what you want to? Check it out.

I have probably forgotten more about the Diamondbacks than you will ever know, but I never claimed to be an expert. Show me the thread where I claimed to be an expert, smart guy. How did YOU get to be so knowledgeable about Diamondbacks, walk around and just look at them at gunshow?

Ira Paine is right only petty people pick on small things.

Talk about posers and bores, sheez! Get a life!

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 10-05-2003).]

·
Registered
41 Posts
WOW! Where did this come from? Please people, lets keep this about the subjects and not personal attacks like "other" forums are. We all have opinions and some are different than our own. Please respect that. We can disagree like gentleman(and ladies).

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Albert Shear

I agree Albert, and I have no idea what this guys beef is and it is rare that someone goes off like that. I can understand a guy having a bad day about something probably totally unrelated to this forum, but keep it to yourself, this is not the place. It's like you said "WOW, Where did this come from? I certainly wouldn't put into question a handle like R. Walter or his expertise!

·
Registered
153 Posts
DB68,
I think this guy came from the S&W forum. I can tell you one thing for sure, he's not a S&W CA member or a SWCA group member as they would not tolerate someone with this type of attitude or anyone that thinks all firearms are nothing more than things used to kill stuff.
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamonback68:
Albert Shear

I agree Albert, and I have no idea what this guys beef is and it is rare that someone goes off like that. I can understand a guy having a bad day about something probably totally unrelated to this forum, but keep it to yourself, this is not the place. It's like you said "WOW, Where did this come from? I certainly wouldn't put into question a handle like R. Walter or his expertise!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Ira

I agree, nor would S&W forum tolerate it, he would be kicked off. If you look at the Smith forum, he rarely has anything constructive to say and usually only criticizes or has negative comments and I saw the diatribe about weapons and they are only for killing. IMHO it certainly wasn't very well thought out.
The reason he thinks he can get by with it on the Colt forum (unlike the Smith forum) is because they presently don't have a moderator, but they still have an owner who can cut him off and I am sure he wouldn't be missed. My mom always said, if you don't have anything nice to say to people, don't say anything at all. That was probably better stated by a wise man who once said "Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, Mr. Shear. Tell me about barrel length and point/shoot accuracy. I'm thinking the 4 5/8ths would be lots more practical - no? One BIG bugaboo ... I've NEVER understood how guns leave factories with fixed sights that shoot, say, low/left at 50' or some such. WHY don't they make 'em shoot where you point 'em? To this end, I've usually unsisted on adjustable sight guns. (I was really happy to read so did McGivern! I can't be TOO far off base!) Tell me about the Colt New Frontier? I've seen one, a beautiful .45 with a quarter-mile barrel and GOOD sights and for the price of a used Buick! Tell me more, Sir? <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Albert Shear:
Back to SAAs. Having had quite a few over the years I must say they are the easiest to shoot revolvers in my hands. Point naturally, low recoil and fits my hands perfectly. If you decide to carry it concealed I will suggest getting a Bob Mernickle PS6SA holster for it. The best in my book.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
41 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rcwambold:
Thanks, Mr. Shear. Tell me about barrel length and point/shoot accuracy. I'm thinking the 4 5/8ths would be lots more practical - no? One BIG bugaboo ... I've NEVER understood how guns leave factories with fixed sights that shoot, say, low/left at 50' or some such. WHY don't they make 'em shoot where you point 'em? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please, call me Albert. The factory configuration is such so that the customer can "adjust" the sights. The front blades are left "tall" so you can file them down to the proper height for you and your load. As for horizontal impact you either file the left or right side of the rear notch and/or bend the front sight left or right.
I always found the 4 3/4" to balance better in my hand.
I never owned a New Frontier so I can not help you there except that they do not command a price as high as a SAA.
Albert Shear
SWCA #1589

·
Registered
24 Posts
rcwambold,

Being a great fan of Skeeter Skelton, and growing up loving the Duke and all the great westerns on TV, the SAA has come to be my favorite gun. The only time I knew was going to be in an armed confrontation, (my mother in laws ranch was in the process of being burglarized) the 4 3/4" SAA in .44 Special is the gun I reached for. Its natural pointability and great feel makes it handle like no other, and I know that gun well. It's large bore and vigorous handloads will do for any serious situation. Especially if you use a New Frontier for hunting. I own 3 SAAs at this time, but have had three others pass through my hands.

It can be an accurate gun, but do some homework and slug the barrel and cylinder throats. Home cast bullets of the proper temper and diameter go a long way in this gun. Even better yet, get a copy of Dave Scovill's "Loading the Peacemaker, Colt's Model P".

I also own two New Frontiers, one a rare 4 3/4" .44-40 that has a spare .44 Special cylinder fitted. It is also my favorite gun too, as it is still a SAA but with adjustable sights, and a nicer fit and finish.

I'm currently playing with a recent .44-40 SAA that is sighted in perfectly for my 200 grain handloads. It is true that some of the third generation guns aren't sighted in from the factory (alot of them even have their front sights not straight up and down), but the current ones are much better. Anyway, my .44-40 is.

Enjoy that gun if you get it, but be warned that they are addictive, and for me anyway, that addiction can't be cured with a clone.

SAA

[This message has been edited by SAA (edited 10-06-2003).]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts