Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just wondering about up to date info on front sight for 1960s Python. I would need a 2 pin 0.125 width, and am looking for one with high-vis insert.

From my searches here and elsewhere these appear to be scarce. Any recent info?

Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes thanks I should have been more clear-was hoping for drop in sight such as was used on later Pythons-did any of the two pin sights have hi vis inserts? Just trying to replace stock one
on a self defense weapon.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Got to eBay and search for 'Python front sight'. All your needs will be quickly answered. Note: The Partridge type front sight is correct for an Elliason rear sight. It is incorrect for the Accro type sight.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I needed a new .125 red front sight for my '81 4" E-Nic Pyhton. The gun was perfect but the front sight was smashed up. I ended up buying one of the $125 ones since I couldn't find the correct one anywhere else. After I got the new sight installed I spent some time fixing up the old one. It's refurbished now and if you're interested I can send you some pics.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Yes thanks I should have been more clear-was hoping for drop in sight such as was used on later Pythons-did any of the two pin sights have hi vis inserts? Just trying to replace stock one
on a self defense weapon.
A solid black .125" ramped front sight would be factory correct for your gun, and the rear accro blade would be black too, not white outlined.

If you want a colored insert front sight, you can still find them. They were available from the custom shop in the late '70s, and eventually became standard on the Pythons in the '80s, which started with Red insert first then changed to Orange which it stayed, these also had the white outline rear accro blade.

If you buy a colored insert one, buy from a reputable seller and not from the scammers who claim theirs are OEM factory sights and charge $100+ for them (they are not factory sights). I think Kensight makes a reproduction sight with insert for half that. If not, contact member Olle and he should have what you need.

As for a Hi-Viz or other custom type sight, there aren't many options at all. The only other factory style was the patridge front post. Frank Glenn will modify a factory sight and install a fiber optic bar in it. Other than that, not much out there.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,609 Posts
Hello all,

Just wondering about up to date info on front sight for 1960s Python. I would need a 2 pin 0.125 width, and am looking for one with high-vis insert.

From my searches here and elsewhere these appear to be scarce. Any recent info?

Thanks ahead of time.
Your easiest way to go would be to buy a plain black Python front sight and have most any competent gunsmith install an insert.
This is easy to do, and you can even do it yourself with a little effort.

New Python two pin sights are available from Kensight.

Ramp Kensight Front Sight for Colt Python / Anaconda

Installing a colored insert is not a major job, and if you'd like to do it yourself, post a request and we can give you several different procedures for casting a colored insert into the sight.
I have several process's on the Colt Fever site:

Gunsmithing

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I thought Kensight has a colored insert one too, hmmm.

Still, I would probably buy one of their all black ones and file an insert channel into it before I would pay $100+ for a reproduction one claimed to be factory original. Actually, I would buy the partridge Kensight option and just paint the small rectangle post. That would be easier and better than painting a ramp sight, also more durable because of the surface's location and not being exposed to wear. Testors enamel model paint works well.

If you end up going the "make your own" sight insert route, there are many how-to's out there. I just got done doing a sight for my 2.5" Python and learned some things about "coloring" epoxy that are important when doing a sight insert. I can share if you get that far. Let's just say it's hard to find a suitable "coloring" agent for epoxy that will retain it's vibrant original nature once diluted with epoxy. (powdered color works best)

Here is my end product, don't mind all the wax. Removed the red insert and made my own orange one that is more vibrant than a factory orange insert. I also added a 2 white dot rear blade to the mix. Originally the 2 white dot blade goes with a white dot patridge front sight, but it's for the .125" sight longer barrels, or else I would have used that for the snubby. It will go on my 6" eventually.

IMG_4177.JPG IMG_4184.JPG

·
Registered
356 Posts
The best way that i can tell if an insert is original or not on a Python front sight is that an original insert will have serrations on the insert itself. I've seen some Python's that gunsmith's have put red, orange, white and green inserts in Python front sight's and they never looked completely right. Either the dimensions were wrong, or the bluing was a little gone on the sides of sight (they just used cold bluing in this area), they never have the serrations on the insert either and gunsmiths charge an arm and a leg at least where i live, to me i think it's better off to just pay $100 dollars or so and buy a front sight that is original or one that looks original. I've personally seen some sights out there for sell that may have been original but they sure did look original, if anything their close enough. I have a friend that bought a Python front sight with a red insert from Gunbroker (don't remember what seller) but we both compared it to an original Python sight with an insert and all the dimensions/aspects of the sight were right on even the serrations and it also just dropped right in. Most of your Python parts now days from parts vendor's are exact copies from an original Python part, i've even seen a lot of people buying reproduction Python grips to install on their Python's and they are real close copies too. If you think about it, most of your original USED Python parts that are off a Python usually have something wrong with them like either worn out, scratched up, barfed up, bluing loss, bent and ect... That's why it's good these parts suppliers are making NEW parts that look and function just like the originals. So if it were me, i would just go buy a sight from a supplier that looked like an original (never know might be original), install it, keep your original sight to Python, go out and have fun shooting your Python and be done with it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The best way that i can tell if an insert is original or not on a Python front sight is that an original insert will have serrations on the insert itself. I've seen some Python's that gunsmith's have put red, orange, white and green inserts in Python front sight's and they never looked completely right. Either the dimensions were wrong, or the bluing was a little gone on the sides of sight (they just used cold bluing in this area), they never have the serrations on the insert either and gunsmiths charge an arm and a leg at least where i live, to me i think it's better off to just pay $100 dollars or so and buy a front sight that is original or one that looks original. I've personally seen some sights out there for sell that may have been original but they sure did look original, if anything their close enough. I have a friend that bought a Python front sight with a red insert from Gunbroker (don't remember what seller) but we both compared it to an original Python sight with an insert and all the dimensions/aspects of the sight were right on even the serrations and it also just dropped right in. Most of your Python parts now days from parts vendor's are exact copies from an original Python part, i've even seen a lot of people buying reproduction Python grips to install on their Python's and they are real close copies too. If you think about it, most of your original USED Python parts that are off a Python usually have something wrong with them like either worn out, scratched up, barfed up, bluing loss, bent and ect... That's why it's good these parts suppliers are making NEW parts that look and function just like the originals. So if it were me, i would just go buy a sight from a supplier that looked like an original (never know might be original), install it, keep your original sight to Python, go out and have fun shooting your Python and be done with it.
I couldn't agree more. I'd rather they cost less though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lots of good help here thanks.. I tried to message ER67 regarding his offer for a sight but I dont have enough posts. If he sees this i will check my private messages jpmando

1 - 12 of 12 Posts