Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
38-40 b sight.JPG
I’ve been looking hard for a 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gen SAA in VG to better condition mid to late 20’s for some time now and of course for a good price. I've found a few and one around the mid 20’s looks to have the front sight rounded. The $ question is if it has been filed on and rounded what will it devalue the gun if any? The rest of the gun looks original and not messed with. I’ve seen this on two different SAA’s 38 WCF both from the mid to late 20’s. This is one of them.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
The sight shape is clearly not the Colt shape.

The barrel may be cut but it looks like the standard 5 1/2" length. Which would be ~ 3/4" beyond the end of the ejector housing.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
The muzzle edge is not a concern since the crown is not shown in the photos. The front edge of the sight looks to be about a quarter inch from the muzzle which is correct, as is the width of the sight and the length. It could be built up and remilled, but you'll need to shoot the gun to see where it prints with factory ammo. Some of the late gun as well as early guns have barrel threads that are out of line, causing the barrel to lock above or below the bore of the cylinder chamber.

jp

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
jp,

I'm glad that you mention that. I can remember seeing a short barrel 357 3rd gen at a gun show with the barrel unmistakably pointing uphill. After several shows, everyone knew that Colt. Finally it never came back again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone’s input on this. I can only guess why one of the past owners would have reworked the front sight but I figure it was dropped in the rocks and needed reworked as in shaped and maybe a re-crowned or it likely was reshaped to suit that owner’s style of shooting or eyes, he didn’t like it shooting low at his distance or all the above. A lot of things in the machining of barrels and receivers can affect where a barrel points / prints and as JP points out the threads and shoulder not cut concentric to the bore is one of them. I’m trying to learn how to evaluate and ballpark a value and this gun is a good one for that. Would this sight modification cause the gun to be worth 20% +/- less?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts