Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased, on line, with a 3 day inspection period, a 1969 Frontier Scout, Alloy finish w/ extra cylinder. Should the SN# be on the box, and both cylinders? It's not the presentation box, it is the cardboard box. Anyone know?

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
First what Model/Series is the FS? There are a few. Secondly the serial number will not be marked on the cylinders, only the caliber. The serial number will not be marked on the factory shipped box. Without knowing the Model/Series, markings and barrel length anything else is guesswork.

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
Most dual cylinder Frontier Scouts were shipped in tan boxes with cut-outs in the bottom for the revolver and for the extra cylinder. If it is a F numbered gun, it will have a sticker on the end of the lid printed in blue and it will say .22 LR and .22 Mag. If it is s P numbered gun ('62 Frontier Scout) the sticker will be printed in black and will say "'62 .22 LR .22 MAG. If it is a K serial numbered gun (nickel plated) the sticker would be printed in red and will say .22 LR and .22 Mag. These boxes did not have serial numbers on them. They were originally packed in a plain cardboard sleeve and the serial number was written on the sleeve. Most of these sleeves were lost along the way.
A few dual cylinder Scouts were shipped in wood grain boxes with black bottoms. In that case, the serial number would have been written on the outside bottom in white marker.
The serial number of your gun (including letter suffix), a more detailed description of the finish and a detailed description of the box would help. Photos would help even more.

- - - Buckspen

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Most dual cylinder Frontier Scouts were shipped in tan boxes with cut-outs in the bottom for the revolver and for the extra cylinder. If it is a F numbered gun, it will have a sticker on the end of the lid printed in blue and it will say .22 LR and .22 Mag. If it is s P numbered gun ('62 Frontier Scout) the sticker will be printed in black and will say "'62 .22 LR .22 MAG. If it is a K serial numbered gun (nickel plated) the sticker would be printed in red and will say .22 LR and .22 Mag. These boxes did not have serial numbers on them. They were originally packed in a plain cardboard sleeve and the serial number was written on the sleeve. Most of these sleeves were lost along the way.
A few dual cylinder Scouts were shipped in wood grain boxes with black bottoms. In that case, the serial number would have been written on the outside bottom in white marker.
The serial number of your gun (including letter suffix), a more detailed description of the finish and a detailed description of the box would help. Photos would help even more.

- - - Buckspen
It is a K prefix from 1969.. It has the tan box with the cut outs...So how would I know if the cylinder(s) that come with the nickled plated gun are orignal to the gun?

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
The barrel is marked .22 CAL, which means it is safe for use with either the .22 LR or .22 Magnum cylinder. Colt never marked Frontier Scout cylinders with serial numbers (or even the company name), so you can't know if they are "original". Likewise that style box was not marked with the serial number. On the other hand, it looks right. The box is the correct type with the correct sticker on the end, so why worry about it?

- - -Buckspen

·
Premium Member
7,486 Posts
+1 for Bucks sentiments. It looks all right to me also. I don't have quite the experts experience, but I've become a collector in the last 2 years and refer to the Wilkerson's book as a reference. Your good to go with what you have there IMO

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes........... I called Colt today and they said the SN's were on an "outside" box or sleeve, that it was shipped in, on a label just as one poster wrote here. They also said since the cylinders are interchangeable, they were not marked with the gun's SN. Thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts