Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Cool gun. I have never seen one with that much wear on both grips. I would be interested in hearing some speculation on that point.

·
Registered
97 Posts
How did that etched panel survive when those grips wore so much? Gun looks honest to me though. I'll bet it will shoot good if the chamber throats are big enough. That bore is beautiful. Really really like CFSS, I have 5 of them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool gun. I have never seen one with that much wear on both grips. I would be interested in hearing some speculation on that point.
I would love some input on the wear. The bottom of the trigger guard has a pattern on it so my thoughts are it was left in a lined holster for a while for that to happen. Probably after its service life. I keep telling myself it was a lawman's gun and he kept his weapon cleaned and oiled. The holster use is why the grips and the etched panel are worn. But then again maybe it was a nice gun and some kid sanded the grips while playing with it. The spots in the barrel turned out to be dirt or lead instead of pitting.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I heard back from Paul at Colt.

Caliber: 44/40
Barrel Length: 7 ½”
Finish: Blue
Stocks: Rubber
Ship to: Simmons Hardware Company, St. Louis, Missouri
Ship Date: January 20, 1890

Looks like it could have laid in inventory for a while. Do the grips being rubber have anything to do with the wear?

·
Registered
375 Posts
It could be someone tried cleaning the grips way back when with something that softened rubber. Or, some folks stroke their beard, some folks twirl their hair behind their ear, some folks might rest a hand on their pistol when they're pondering life as they ride the range.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am looking at the thread Subtle Changes in the Colt SAA. This gun has the caliber marking on the left front bow of the trigger guard and a round ejector rod. According to this thread if I am reading correctly the caliber marking was removed in 1887 and the round rod stopped being used in 1884. Does that indicate this was actually assembled in the first part of 1885 and then laid in inventory for 5 years or does it indicate Colt just used old parts to assemble it?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Kopec talks about this in some detail on page 60 in A Study. It looks like the caliber markings on the trigger guard bow changed back and forth between 44 CAL and 44 CF into the 141000 serial number range.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
That's got about the nicest bore I've ever seen on an old well used BP Colt. Someone back in the day took excellent care of their SAA. I wouldn't be surprised if your speculation about a lawman keeping one of his working tools in top condition was correct.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I am looking for input here..... Would a CFSS have shipped with an etched panel as late as 1890? I had silently been questioning the panel to myself, then saw the letter details. Just asking!

·
Registered
97 Posts
The change from etched panel to rolled die occurred during 1890. Like all Colt changes it was not at a specific serial number but gradually as the stock of barrels ran out. Short answer, YES. I'm not questioning the panel's authenticity. Etched panels are delicate and can easily be worn off.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sometimes pictures do not come out very well. Especially when you struggle with technology. The barrel is an even brown color with shiny steel around the muzzle. The bore is very nice. The etched panel is not completely legible. It barely shows. You can make out COLT and HOOTER and the letters are very worn. If you look at the picture of the 2 scratches on the trigger guard you will see a distinct pattern on the trigger guard bow. I wonder if it was carried in a holster with some type of lining and the lining helped protect what is left of the etched panel.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts