Colt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nice revolver! In my opinion as someone else stated above, it looks like this one "sat around" at Colt for a while before shipping. The approximate build date per the serial number is 1884, and it shipped in 1890. My Manzanares-shipped etched panel is a fairly close serial number to this one, and it was built in 1884 and shipped in 1887. Several of the Colt books discuss cases of revolvers sitting around occasionally, with "late" shipping dates.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
You mentioned input. Barrel serial restamped, font not correct. Etched panel bogus. Look at how little metal is left between triggerguard screws and edge of frame. Grips numbered to gun? Sorry, but this one has been seriously fooled with. JMO.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Well, I heard back from Paul at Colt.

Caliber: 44/40
Barrel Length: 7 ½”
Finish: Blue
Stocks: Rubber
Ship to: Simmons Hardware Company, St. Louis, Missouri
Ship Date: January 20, 1890

Looks like it could have laid in inventory for a while. Do the grips being rubber have anything to do with the wear?
Did you tell the Archives what the caliber, etc were? It may have laid in inventory, but it may also have been returned for a configuration change and sold a 2nd time as you see now. For whatever reason, Colt Archives won't always note that a gun was shipped twice.

I have a 45 x 7-1/2" that was Shipped Twice - 1st time as 44-40, Implied 7-1/2", Blue, SNL to Hartley & Graham (NYC) on 4-25-1882, 50 Guns; And 2nd time the Same Except 45 X 7-1/2" Again to H&G On 1-9-1883, Again 50 Guns.

When I bought the gun in the late 1970's, I called Marty Huber and gave him the SN along with that it was a 45. Because it was just another Hartley & Graham shipment, I did not request a letter. But about 10 years ago I sent my $100 and the SN only. My letter arrived saying that it was a 44-40 shipped 4-25-1882! I called Beverly to ask "what gives here"? It was ONLY THEN that I learned of the two shipments, which I now requested should be in a single letter. "No problem", I was told.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I am looking at the thread Subtle Changes in the Colt SAA. This gun has the caliber marking on the left front bow of the trigger guard and a round ejector rod. According to this thread if I am reading correctly the caliber marking was removed in 1887 and the round rod stopped being used in 1884. Does that indicate this was actually assembled in the first part of 1885 and then laid in inventory for 5 years or does it indicate Colt just used old parts to assemble it?
Round ejector rod or round ejector head? If we are talking about a U.S. gun, then the last shipment with round heads was on 1-28-1885, 100 Guns. After that the Government wanted the smaller oval head. On civilian Colt SAA's, the round ejector head phased out between 1878 and 1880.

As for civilian guns of all calibers my #130753 has "44 Cal" on the left front TG. After that it ended, but with one exception seen: #140780 is a 44-40 x 7-1/2" and it has just "44" on the left front TG.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Your rubber grips are very worn, but they are also undersized to the straps. I think they have been replaced.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Did you tell the Archives what the caliber, etc were? It may have laid in inventory, but it may also have been returned for a configuration change and sold a 2nd time as you see now. For whatever reason, Colt Archives won't always note that a gun was shipped twice.

I have a 45 x 7-1/2" that was Shipped Twice - 1st time as 44-40, Implied 7-1/2", Blue, SNL to Hartley & Graham (NYC) on 4-25-1882, 50 Guns; And 2nd time the Same Except 45 X 7-1/2" Again to H&G On 1-9-1883, Again 50 Guns.

When I bought the gun in the late 1970's, I called Marty Huber and gave him the SN along with that it was a 45. Because it was just another Hartley & Graham shipment, I did not request a letter. But about 10 years ago I sent my $100 and the SN only. My letter arrived saying that it was a 44-40 shipped 4-25-1882! I called Beverly to ask "what gives here"? It was ONLY THEN that I learned of the two shipments, which I now requested should be in a single letter. "No problem", I was told.
I contacted Colt to ask about the possibility of being shipped twice. I do think the barrel has been changed at some point. The pin holes in the grips are not resized like you see on some grips that have been changed. I am still undecided on if they are original or not

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Round ejector rod or round ejector head? If we are talking about a U.S. gun, then the last shipment with round heads was on 1-28-1885, 100 Guns. After that the Government wanted the smaller oval head. On civilian Colt SAA's, the round ejector head phased out between 1878 and 1880.

As for civilian guns of all calibers my #130753 has "44 Cal" on the left front TG. After that it ended, but with one exception seen: #140780 is a 44-40 x 7-1/2" and it has just "44" on the left front TG.
The ejector rod is round. The head is the oval style. The TG marking on this is 44CF not 44 Cal if that matters.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

This was my response from Paul: More than likely just a late shipment. Not a terribly uncommon situation. Our records only contain the original shipment, so this would be the first shipment from the factory. Colt’s records have a lot of anomalies.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I contacted Colt to ask about the possibility of being shipped twice. I do think the barrel has been changed at some point. The pin holes in the grips are not resized like you see on some grips that have been changed. I am still undecided on if they are original or not
I possibly can shed some light on your barrel. Measure to the nearest 0.010" the length of the barrel address from the "C" in Colt to the period after "USA" (like 2.50"). Also what inspector stamps do you see under the ejector housing?

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
This was my response from Paul: More than likely just a late shipment. Not a terribly uncommon situation. Our records only contain the original shipment, so this would be the first shipment from the factory. Colt’s records have a lot of anomalies.
"Our records only contain the original shipment ". I think that Paul was speaking about the reworked shipments, like those returned for refinishing after 20 to 30 years. But if there were two "original" shipments on your Colt SAA, the index of SN's would quickly show that.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
The ejector rod is round. The head is the oval style. The TG marking on this is 44CF not 44 Cal if that matters.
Yes, and in the 1885 time frame, "44 C.F." would be the correct type of TG stamping. By 122xxx (~Aug 1887) that stamping was "44 Cal.".

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I possibly can shed some light on your barrel. Measure to the nearest 0.010" the length of the barrel address from the "C" in Colt to the period after "USA" (like 2.50"). Also what inspector stamps do you see under the ejector housing?
The only stamp I see under the ejector is the serial number and the 44. The address line is around 2.1" and as near as I can tell the etched panel is 2.875"

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
OK, well that is the barrel address that I would expect to see on a SAA in the 106xxx range.
I guess I am not sure what I have now. Rick pointed out the barrel etched panel is bogus. I do not have enough experience to know that. He also pointed out the barrel serial number font is not correct. I assume that means the barrel was replaced.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I guess I am not sure what I have now. Rick pointed out the barrel etched panel is bogus. I do not have enough experience to know that. He also pointed out the barrel serial number font is not correct. I assume that means the barrel was replaced.
Maybe robbed off of a Colt M1878 DA. Many were.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
My first impression is that "if" the barrel is original the deep etching and the serial number have been added. Seems like someone early in the thread made mention about it having a heck of a bore for the age....it very well could be a modern reproduction barrel that has been browned to match the rest of the gun. Most of the time when these are rebarreled the ejector housing doesn't fit perfectly like it did from the factory so that is a good thing to look at.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
My first impression is that "if" the barrel is original the deep etching and the serial number have been added. Seems like someone early in the thread made mention about it having a heck of a bore for the age....it very well could be a modern reproduction barrel that has been browned to match the rest of the gun. Most of the time when these are rebarreled the ejector housing doesn't fit perfectly like it did from the factory so that is a good thing to look at.
I am going to assume this is what you mean by not fitting properly. Does this gun have any value or is it just a shooter? I understand with the cylinder and frame it will require black powder.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts