Colt Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I am going to assume this is what you mean by not fitting properly. Does this gun have any value or is it just a shooter? I understand with the cylinder and frame it will require black powder.
View attachment 703864
I am going to take exception here. The 3rd type Ejector Housings were totally interchangeable. Tolerances were held tight at 3.750". Otherwise an assembly number would have been required on the housing.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
I am going to assume this is what you mean by not fitting properly. Does this gun have any value or is it just a shooter? I understand with the cylinder and frame it will require black powder.
View attachment 703864
It's tough to get an ejector housing from one saa to fit another saa perfectly no matter the vintage has been my experience since they were hand fitted to a specific frame and barrel. Most of the time in order to swap them out you have to do some metal work. Unless someone with real skills does it you can normally spy a barrel change by either the housing not fitting down over the barrel stud as in the picture you posted or there is a gap at the frame between the frame and the housing. Unless there is some trash under that housing that is keeping it from closing up snug against the barrel I don't think that is a factory fit so I would probably question the barrel's originality. I've seen a guy at the Tulsa show and other shows from time to time who has modern made barrels for sale that are currently made. You asked about it being a shooter. A competent gunsmith should always look over anything you are going to shoot and certainly with black powder cartridges only. When I was younger and somewhat dumber I wondered why the 16,000 serial range saa in 45 colt I was shooting with modern loads couldn't seem to keep the ejector housing on it. After a few rounds I'd have to pick the housing up off the ground and put it back on.....I should have had an ephipany then but I didn't until later. Perhaps it's true the Lord takes care of fools and drunks!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
It's tough to get an ejector housing from one saa to fit another saa perfectly no matter the vintage has been my experience since they were hand fitted to a specific frame and barrel. Most of the time in order to swap them out you have to do some metal work. Unless someone with real skills does it you can normally spy a barrel change by either the housing not fitting down over the barrel stud as in the picture you posted or there is a gap at the frame between the frame and the housing. Unless there is some trash under that housing that is keeping it from closing up snug against the barrel I don't think that is a factory fit so I would probably question the barrel's originality. I've seen a guy at the Tulsa show and other shows from time to time who has modern made barrels for sale that are currently made. You asked about it being a shooter. A competent gunsmith should always look over anything you are going to shoot and certainly with black powder cartridges only. When I was younger and somewhat dumber I wondered why the 16,000 serial range saa in 45 colt I was shooting with modern loads couldn't seem to keep the ejector housing on it. After a few rounds I'd have to pick the housing up off the ground and put it back on.....I should have had an ephipany then but I didn't until later. Perhaps it's true the Lord takes care of fools and drunks!
The worst fit that I see are those requiring a rap with a wooden mallet to get them installed. But the fact is that original housings often come off only with the insertion of a brass rod and a rap with a wooden mallet.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
"the housing not fitting down over the barrel stud as in the picture you posted".

That housing will only be made to fit if the barrel is turned. But then it won't shoot to POA. Hand fitting will not correct this. His picture, as enhanced, is attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I appreciate the input on this gun. I am still trying to learn things. The trigger guard and backstrap fit fine and the hammer lines up with the backstrap ears. The cylinder looks like it has had timing issues but it locks up fine now. The grips are worn out and may or may not be original to the gun. Serial numbers and patent dates on the frame look sharp and appear to be original. The gun shipped as a 44 WCF with 7.5" barrel. The barrel has been replaced and colored. I am not sure what looks incorrect about the etched panel. It looks like a well worn panel to me but I do not have the experience you guys do. The serial number has been added to the barrel and it looks like you can make out 1 number from an old serial number under the 3 on the barrel serial number. The witness mark on the top of the barrel looks like it is not centered in the frame of the gun. It looks like the barrel may have been tightened too much or it needs shimmed. That is causing the misalignment with the ejector. My question is am I thinking correctly and is the barrel an old repair or did someone replace the barrel with a new barrel and try to make it look old?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I am following this with confusion. I have a Colt New Line from the 1870s and the acid-etched panel on it doesn't look much different than the one shown. I can't see someone faking it on my pistol because of its low value. Admittedly, this thread is like reading one-half of a conversation and confuses the heck out of me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
victorio1sw - I don’t follow your statement about using a brass rod to install or remove the ejector housing. Are you referring to hitting the end of the housing to seat it deeper?

I seem to remember reading that a barrel from a 1878 Colt can be used on a SAA, but there is a small difference.

As for this 44-40 I think the barrel, grips, ejector housing, and cylinder pin have been replaced with the intention to deceive.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
If you take out the ejector housing screw and insert a rod in the end and rap it with a hammer it’ll pop off.

I’m not so certain I understand Victorios comment about turning the barrel and it no longer hitting POA. The sight being .050 closer to the rear sight isn’t going to make any difference unless the front sight is canted a couple degrees left or right.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts