Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen, I recently acquired a box of old gun parts. I want to clean them up and organize them without damaging the finishes (blued, parked, and nickel pieces). The parts are not rusty but they are dirty and frozen from dried oil and grease. Any suggestions?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,091 Posts
You can soak them in cheap paint thinner, or if you do it OUTSIDE you can use lacquer thinner.
Either will dissolve the old dried crud. You can help it along by using a solvent-proof toothbrush to scrub the parts after soaking for a while.

You could also use WD-40 to clean them then clean off the WD-40 and coat with a standard lubricant.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,091 Posts
Paint thinner and lacquer thinner will not harm bluing, parkerizing, or nickel plating.
I used both for many years. I used to keep a small lidded can full of lacquer thinner in my bench for cleaning small parts.

·
Registered
640 Posts
No smoking when using either solvent, but ESPECIALLY if using lacquer thinner.
The fumes alone from lacquer thinner can easily combust.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Laquer and paint thinners are loaded with iso-cyanates (sp?). Bad stuff. Avoid inhaling the fumes and wear chemical proof rubber gloves as it can be absorbed through the skin. i was touching up the bumper on a customers car and not paying attention. The can was infront of my nose. I didn't notice until my vision started to blurr and I couldn't focus on the bumper anymore. Anyway avoid that if possible.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Kerosene would likely work very well also...as will using a Tooth Brush ( and wearing Rubber Gloves to keep whatever Solvent off your Hands and Skin ).

You can let the Parts soak in Kerosene for as long as you like, and, then Scrub-a-Dub-Dub with the Toothbrush to continue to remove build-up.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Dang, from the title I thought you were talking about my sex life!

I use Mineral Spirits in a parts washer, (I hear it works pretty good on gun parts too);).

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
That's funny...

When I first saw the title, for a split-second I thought it said "Frozen dirty old Pants" and I was imaging something found up in the Yukon from the Gold Rush era that the melting Permafrost finally revealed...

Seriously, old half rotten dirty messed up 'Levis' found up there in the old melting Ice or in old Mines and so on can be worth Thousands of Dollars to collectors...these things do happen..!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts