Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOLD

This must be one of the last 357s made, Serial Number 310xx, 1961. (Wilson's book says manufacture of the 357 ended with #28000.) This smooth "pre-Python" is 98% original blue, 4-inch barrel. $500 shipped overnight to FFL.

[This message has been edited by Michael Stern (edited 06-23-2004).]

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Beautiful gun Michael,and IMO,a very fair price,for the most "underated Colt"!I have 2, a 4".3 digit serial #,that has a king cockeyed hammer,and the original "dual tone blue"with dulled trigger guard,straps & top of frame. It is a great carry gun,and has some honest wear! The other is a 6" from the 12000 serial range,with full target options and excellent shape like yours,but Im afraid it is spending too much time in the vault. Yours must be one of the last to be made,and it looks like it is mostly hi gloss blue. Ive told the following tale on the S&W Forum,with no response,but what made the S&W Combat Magnum(the pre M-19) so popular,was its appearance on a popular T.V. Show with Bill Jordan demonstrating it in 1955. The show was called;"You Asked For It",hosted by Art Baker. Like "Male Call",today(the only non "P.C."show on TV;and I love the "Gunny",but jealous of his getting paid well to do what he does!!),viewers would write in asking for stunts. So,Bill Jordan came on and did handgun tricks in response to a request,quick draw etc,and he had a pre production S&W "Combat Magnum". Well,it became a best seller,despite only being 2 oz. lighter than the Colt .357,it was viewed as "the answer to the peace officers dream".What the diehard S&W lovers wont admit(unless there honest or own BOTH makes),is that the Combat Masterpiece wouldnt stand up to a steady diet of .357 loads,and the introduction of hotter 125 gr.h.p.s by Lee Juras,really wore em out;hence the L Frame M-581/586 in the early 80s.The .357 just kept trucking along on the .41 size frame. The Python(I wont own one) came out not to compete with the Combat Magnum,but probably the bigger N Frame S&W pre M-27. I know the Pythons 1/2 pound more weight(with the barrel lug)helps tame the recoil,but frame wise and action wise its no better than a "357" and your paying for that lovely finish(not the best for wearing well in a holster.) Hope someone snatches up your wonderful .357;its a great gun. Bud

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, Bud; much as I like S&Ws, there is something about the mid-century Colt D.A. revolvers that I especially like: Shooting Master, Officers Model, and .357 are great tools as well as works of art, I.M.O.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts